Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-29-2021, 08:02 PM   #1
Jack O'All Trades

Default TFT Community House Rules

Over on the TFT discord a project to compile a community set of 'common house rules' has begun. I'm starting this thread to document the major progress generated from workshops and discussions.

For the time being, the bulk of the work is in trying to generate a prioritized list of areas that we want the house rules to cover (whether that be "fixes" or expansions of the official rules). You can contribute to that project by voting here and of course keep an eye on the discord to try to join in on scheduling workshops as we begin to work our way down the priority list.
Jack O'All Trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:06 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: TFT Community House Rules

Well from my list
https://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html

the the interesting points are (in random order)
  • Fix the list of modifers into straightforward text so we know if drawing a sword from a fallen enemy's scabbard has the fallen body adjustment.
  • Apply actions during movement to reduce move options to five: Stand, Shift, Step, Stroll, and Scurry.
  • Fix action options to only depend on the movement options allowed for that action.
  • Clarify fatigued to death (And Dying text cleanup.)
  • Add casting time to Create Gate
  • Wizards aren't getting cost of living. Double the cost of a point of ST and hence double costs for potions and magic items. (Still can't pawn them for much though.)
  • Can't cast Staff from a book please
  • Apply an overall limit on divination to keep a wizard from spamming multiple forms.
  • Untalented fist damage is one point higher than Melee/Wizard
  • Dragons are wimpy, add a note that more powerful regional varieties exist, but aren't subject to summon spells.
  • Entangling weapons need harder to hit numbers and/or saving throws.
  • Consolidate all forced entry into hex options into one rule.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:07 PM   #3
Axly Suregrip

To me the one issue that most needs to be fixed:

Adding IQ does not give you a "talent point". This creates a weird dynamic of very high IQ starting characters having an XP advantage long term. It also slows down character development too much. Which is often a fun part of the game but instead feels like a grind.

One way this has been solved by house rule is to give 500 XP for talents only whenever someone increases their IQ. (Thanks Henry).
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:22 AM   #4
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
To me the one issue that most needs to be fixed:

Adding IQ does not give you a "talent point"...
That's roughly my biggest gripe too, and for even more reasons than Axyl gave (which should be enough by itself).

I've proposed so many solutions to this I can't even remember them all. I think the last set was:

Give TWO "Talent Points" every time IQ increases a point. Do not allow the direct purchase of Talents with XP. Do not treat Spells and Talents as the same thing for memory limit purposes anymore.

Thus new Talents can still be added faster than in original ITL (which is desirable). Yet the rate at which you add them is once again "gated" by ones total attribute points.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:36 AM   #5
Shostak

HTH and pinning are two of my biggies. My suggestions are detailed here. These boil down to expanding the conditions necessary in order to attempt to initiate HTH, changing HTH initiation to an action in all instances, and scrapping pinning rules and replacing them with a more detailed (yet, IMHO still simple) grappling subsystem.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:34 AM   #6
larsdangly

Pinning is a bit of a mess; it seems so obvious it should have used the 'contest' mechanics, but i think the old version just got grandfathered in.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote