Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Gef

Default What can I do with a shield?

I’m trying to imagine a martial arts style for a fantasy game that gives pride of place to shield work. What techniques would such a style feature? Well of course a shield can block and bash, but these are basic functions not techniques. Slams and shoves don’t rate techniques either but work better with the perk Shoves and Tackles, so that’s in. Bashing doesn’t do much damage, but the shield weighs enough that weapons which parry it might break. An attack with the shield edge inflicts swing damage, a decent threat from a big guy. That threat makes for a credible feint, the only technique listed for the archetypal example, Armatura. Disarming is out, though, because shields can’t parry, per the rule on disarms. It can’t hook, either, at least not normally, inferred from the description in Low Tech of the dueling long shield, which has cutouts to enable the technique. So if you wanna take the other guy’s weapon, I guess targeted attack to the wrist is your best bet. Armed grapple and attendant holds take two hands on the shield, which is not the way it’s normally used, but I suppose I could go that route and add Quick-Sheathe as a style perk. Otherwise, what techniques would punch up a shield-based style?

Thanks,

GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: What can I do with a shield?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
An attack with the shield edge inflicts swing damage, a decent threat from a big guy.
Where's that rule from? All I can find is Shield Bash, which is flat thrust crushing damage regardless of the shield type.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Employ Nick Fury?
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Agramer

Quote:
Thanks,

GEF
Weaponmaster Knightly weapons 35 cP(that includes shield;so shield will get -2 per extra Block due WPM instead -4)).

Base Feint on shield(shield=easy skill)
Take Expert Technique (Feint)..so youll be able to rise Feint +6 to skill(instead +4).
Perk.Weaponbond Shield(for extra +1 to effective skill feint)
***above already brings you to +8 (+4 if compared to full Feint with basic sword)to Feint,as compared on Feint based on weapon.
***Feint also adds up on Shield Beats(so if your ST is much higher than opponents,maybe its best to Beat instead Feint...thus removing his shield from picture and finishing with Flails -4 to parry(+deceptive attack)

Take +3 Enhanced Defense Block;(wouldnt be bad similar with sword)

Have ST 13+( thr 1d;swing 2d-1) for bonuses from weaponmaster(+2 to thrust and +4 to swing).

Take Broadsword+Fast draw Broadsword+Targeted Attack(BS:::>Vitals)
-as backup wpn to Flail incase you get surrounded and will need extra defences(parrys)
Take Flail(-2 to block;fencers cant parry;-4 to parry);take TA(Flail/Brain)
Springing attack Flail is also nice technique(gives +2 to dmg:>>with TA brain=+8dmg modified by brains *4 modifier)
Targeted Attacks will "leave" some "space" in your skill for deceptive attack.

Extra Attack I: To be able to Feint+attack in same turn

Further techniques for shield:
Close Combat MA69
Disarming
Ground Fighting
Dual weapon attack(shield +wpn)
Timed Defense MA89
You could make a case with GM to allow you Push B216 with Shield(as kind of slam)
You could take Perk Shieldwall training,and use Large shield(+3 DB) instead Medium without any penalty.

So summary:
Shield skill 18,Expert Feint maxed,weaponbondshield = Feint at 25
Than Targeted Attack(if possible deceptive) Flail::>Brain (with additional Flails penalties to def.=
Result: One death whatever / turn

Your Block with Medium shield:
18/9=9 +3 +1 Combat ref.+3 enhanced Block +2 DB-medium shield =Block 18(with -2 per consequent blocks ,cumulative)
Would be Block 19 with Large Shield(if you have Shieldwall training perk to eliminate -2 to attacks when using L.Shield).
You can combine it with Step Back for +1 and Acrobatics defenses for +2

If youre playing fantasy: Essential wood enchantment aint that expensive to triple shields DR and HP)...

Great community...give it a try :)

Last edited by Agramer; 11-22-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
aesir23

I'd say Can Disarm with Shield and Can Hook with Shield would both be perfectly legitimate Style Perks.

When I made a Style for the Shield Maidens of a fantasy world I was creating, I included both Feint (Shield) and Spinning Attack (Shield).
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
DanHoward

Companion 2 has a section on customising shields with all kinds of add-ons that would work well with the above.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Kazander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Where's that rule from? All I can find is Shield Bash, which is flat thrust crushing damage regardless of the shield type.
Sharpened Edge, MA223 under the description of Shield. Damage is sw-2 cut, for metal shields only.
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
Agramer

You could put pointy spike on shield for thr imp dmg(I think thats +1 lbs).
That would be nice addition to slam attacks(essentially "free attack").

In movie 300 are some nice scenes with Shield fighting.From slams,cuts,bashes,attacks,swing cuts,pushes..etc(That is Agrive shield from Low Tech 4ed).

Fighting with shield can be very dynamic,not just "board" infront of you.

Edit:Ohh forgot in previous post:Youll need Ambidexterity 5cp or Off Hand weapon training Perk(shield) 1 CP ...so you dont suffer -4 for off hand.

Great community...give it a try :)

Last edited by Agramer; 11-22-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Viking Shield fighting 4pts
To the modern man, the shield is a defensive item, armor. To the Norse freebooter, a shield was a weapon, useful for both defensive and offensive roles, known by many names, and often referred to as a "net of Spears". Viking shield fighting utilizes a Medium, center-grip round shield(A Medium Buckler) to actively block enemy blows, obscure an opponents vision and strike harassing blows with the shield edge. Some shields may be of a lighter linden, alder or poplar, and left without a rim, so as to entrap an enemy weapon and then disarm the opponent. Standing grapples and strikes are secondary to a carried weapon, but in the close confines of a shield wall, weapon strikes are severely constrained.
Skills: Shield(Buckler), Brawling, Wrestling
Techniques: Binding(Buckler), Disarming(Buckler), Feint(Buckler), Retain Weapon(Buckler), Stamp Kick(Brawling)
Cinematic Skills and Techniques: Push, Immovable Stance
Perks: Naval fighting, Special Setup(Buckler Block>Binding), Special Setup(Bind>Disarm), Shield Wall training
Old 11-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
Polydamas

Quote:
I’m trying to imagine a martial arts style for a fantasy game that gives pride of place to shield work. What techniques would such a style feature? Well of course a shield can block and bash, but these are basic functions not techniques. Slams and shoves don’t rate techniques either but work better with the perk Shoves and Tackles, so that’s in. Bashing doesn’t do much damage, but the shield weighs enough that weapons which parry it might break. An attack with the shield edge inflicts swing damage, a decent threat from a big guy. That threat makes for a credible feint, the only technique listed for the archetypal example, Armatura. Disarming is out, though, because shields can’t parry, per the rule on disarms. It can’t hook, either, at least not normally, inferred from the description in Low Tech of the dueling long shield, which has cutouts to enable the technique. So if you wanna take the other guy’s weapon, I guess targeted attack to the wrist is your best bet. Armed grapple and attendant holds take two hands on the shield, which is not the way it’s normally used, but I suppose I could go that route and add Quick-Sheathe as a style perk. Otherwise, what techniques would punch up a shield-based style?

Thanks,

GEF
The problem is that documented styles overwhelmingly focus on swords and unarmed combat, or sometimes staff weapons or bows. The surviving Renaissance European ones rely on the sword more than the shield (except for a tiny bit of material on what GURPS calls the Duelling Long Shield). So its hard to be sure what a Combat form with sword and shield or spear and shield would look like.

Aside from Armatura, see Hoplomachia, Sword and Shield Fighting, and Viking Spear Fighting in MA, plus some of the gladiator styles in GURPS MA Gladiators.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote