Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 01-15-2016, 05:02 AM   #801
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazeMonster View Post
Well played. :) OK, I can wait.
If you've not yet seen them there are two BGG posts with a peek at the new edition:

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/4...ytest-set-spin

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/4...-sixth-edition
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:21 AM   #802
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
If those books still have a meaningful chance of selling in that place, why are they still on that shelf after ten years?
Who's to say they've been on that shelf ten years? Stock rotates, people sell or trade books, stores buy stock from other stores, and sometimes things just languish in a storeroom for a while until someone finds them again. It's not like the book goes straight from SJGames to the store shelf, then stays on the store shelf forever or until someone buys it. There is an entire ecosystem that you are completely disregarding here.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:35 AM   #803
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
Who's to say they've been on that shelf ten years? Stock rotates, people sell or trade books, stores buy stock from other stores, and sometimes things just languish in a storeroom for a while until someone finds them again. It's not like the book goes straight from SJGames to the store shelf, then stays on the store shelf forever or until someone buys it. There is an entire ecosystem that you are completely disregarding here.
If the shop trades in second-hand books, that's a whole different matter, and good for them. Otherwise - no retail ecosystem cycles that slowly. One or two 3e books would be a curiosity; a whole shelf-load screams "dust trap".
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:38 AM   #804
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
If the shop trades in second-hand books, that's a whole different matter, and good for them. Otherwise - no retail ecosystem cycles that slowly. One or two 3e books would be a curiosity; a whole shelf-load screams "dust trap".
Just for the record, I've never been in a gaming shop that doesn't trade in second-hand books, and I've been in dozens over the years. It didn't even occur to me you might be thinking of one that didn't.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:35 AM   #805
Anders

I don't have a stake to hold. Can I get one from W23?
Old 01-15-2016, 06:46 AM   #806
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
This may be a UK/US difference. I've used three UK shops (all now closed) and none of them ever dealt in second hand books. They were far more concerned with trying to sell new stock.
I wonder if it's even a regional thing. I'm in the US and I've been to a number of game stores across the country, and I can't remember any of them dealing in any meaningful way with used games. It's far, far more common to see old stock on the shelves. The excellent game store near me which still has a handful of 3rd edition GURPS books on the shelf is as nothing compared to a much older store which was the first game store in the area many years ago. After a series of transformations (from a model train and other hobby store with a small game section, to an exclusive game store, to a comic book store with a substantial game section), it finally closed down a couple of years ago. And among the things they still had on the shelves were a handful of items (Ral Partha miniatures, typeset hex-and-counter wargames) which clearly dated back to those early days in the 70s.

But we're getting off topic. So, then: if files have to go to the printer in early summer for Car Wars to stay on its desired schedule, what does that imply for the Kickstarter? Obviously, it has to be over before that point, but how soon does it have to start? How will a more or less successful campaign impact what goes to the printer initially? Or is SJ Games planning a more conservative strategy than for the Ogre KS, with the form and content of the initial set more or less set in stone and potential add-ons in an advanced state of planing no matter what happens and the relative success of the campaign determining what else comes out later? We'll see when it happens, I guess.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:20 AM   #807
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I don't have a stake to hold. Can I get one from W23?
http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...ic-blood-types

Hope that helps.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #808
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlyce View Post
... What I am saying is if you, as a player, want GURPS to succeed, it is on you, not the store to help it succeed, as Pathfinder/WotC games are easier to get organised and run.
On the flip side one cannot purchase something that the shop does not stock.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:28 PM   #809
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
Just for the record, I've never been in a gaming shop that doesn't trade in second-hand books, and I've been in dozens over the years. It didn't even occur to me you might be thinking of one that didn't.
Of the five games stores I've been to in the last year, only one deals with used RPG materials and that's a very small part of their business. There was one store in the area that was once big into used books, but that one moved a few years ago and doesn't do used anymore. The stores do deal in used products of other types (trading cards and comics for a couple and console gaming items for one) but not RPG books or board/card (non-collectible) games.

The only places I've bought used gaming items lately are conventions and Half-Price Books.

Yay, anecdotes! :)

Last edited by Parody; 01-15-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #810
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

The second hand section of my local hobby store consists of two small cardboard boxes, tucked beneath the bookshelf of the newer items. So ... yeah.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote