Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
SiLent

Default Long reach weapons and spacing

Hi there folks.

I've been wondering about the use of long reach weapons in small places, specially with their swings. The rules states the following regarding spacing:

Spoiler:  

While i can understand this if they were using only thrust attacks or small swords, i'm having trouble to see how both warriors could be swinging (for example) greatswords in such a small space.

Are there rules of any kind regarding that?
SiLent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Long reach weapons and spacing

There's a rule for this on page 12 of GURPS Underground Adventures.

Which I now realize I never got around to reading and really should.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
SiLent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
There's a rule for this on page 12 of GURPS Underground Adventures.

Which I now realize I never got around to reading and really should.
Yeah, i just read these rules. They seem fair to me, however i think they sould be used whenever you're fighting next to somebody - specially a friend!

Imagine the following scenario:

A = doesn't matter what he's using
B = greatsword fighters swinging their weapons for attack.

How they are supposed to not hit each other?? Again, this seems very awkward to me

Should you be able to use swing attacks effectively only when you have some degree of free space, as mentioned in the rules above?
SiLent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiLent View Post
Yeah, i just read these rules. They seem fair to me, however i think they sould be used whenever you're fighting next to somebody - specially a friend!

Imagine the following scenario:

A = doesn't matter what he's using
B = greatsword fighters swinging their weapons for attack.

How they are supposed to not hit each other?? Again, this seems very awkward to me

Should you be able to use swing attacks effectively only when you have some degree of free space, as mentioned in the rules above?
If there's around two yards of open overhead space, the B in the center has room for generally overhand swings, and of course the ones on the outside could swing both from above and inward from outside the formation. If they're under a low ceiling so that overhead swings aren't possible, the guy in the middle has problems, and if the edge of your map is supposed to be a wall the guys at the outside probably do as well...I'd interpret it as requiring 2 yards in the direction of the target and in an orthogonal direction, though the text isn't totally clear on that.

I'd definitely say that while the rules are intended for relatively narrow passages, anything that impinges on the space, including people, should be considered a legitimate obstacle.

Arguably if there's only a few angles of attack possible it should give a bonus to active defenses, but I don't have any rules toward that.