Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-16-2022, 10:36 AM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default Battery question

Are there any guidelines for how TL9+ power cells from Ultra-Tech line up with TL6-8 batteries from High-Tech in terms of power generation?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:06 AM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: Battery question

Some people have jumped on a quote from Psi-Tech that says "The rechargeable power cells in GURPS Ultra-Tech store approximately four times the energy of the same weight of non-rechargeable batteries from GURPS High-Tech."
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:31 AM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Some people have jumped on a quote from Psi-Tech that says "The rechargeable power cells in GURPS Ultra-Tech store approximately four times the energy of the same weight of non-rechargeable batteries from GURPS High-Tech."
Based on Pyramid 3/38 _Laser and Blaster Design_ 4x per level is the rule for power cells after TL9 as well.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:43 AM   #4
awesomenessofme1

There's a very confusing line in UT that says "An A cell is 10 times as powerful as a modern AA cell", which implies than an UT AA cell is equivalent to a HT XS battery, which would be more like 200x efficiency. But if you assume that the default stats are TL8 in HT and TL9 in UT, x4 efficiency per TL does seem to bear out. I have no idea what they were thinking with that one line, though.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:16 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
There's a very confusing line in UT that says "An A cell is 10 times as powerful as a modern AA cell", w.
Could you specify _where_ you found that? I just looked though my copy of UT (4e, a recent download of the pdf) and p.19 (which is all about power cells) doesn't say anything like that.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:38 PM   #6
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Could you specify _where_ you found that? I just looked though my copy of UT (4e, a recent download of the pdf) and p.19 (which is all about power cells) doesn't say anything like that.
Page 20, the very first paragraph under "Sizes of Power Cells". I checked the PDF I just got from BOH, so I don't think it's an update issue.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:57 PM   #7
Stormcrow

My older color copy of the PDF of GURPS Ultra-Tech, as well as my first printing hardcover book, says on page 19, "An A cell is 10 times as powerful as a modern AA cell." The current version of the PDF says "An A cell is 10 times as powerful as an AA cell."

That looks like corrected errata, and it should not be concluded that power cells are given a real-world equivalence in GURPS Ultra-Tech.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:19 PM   #8
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
My older color copy of the PDF of GURPS Ultra-Tech, as well as my first printing hardcover book, says on page 19, "An A cell is 10 times as powerful as a modern AA cell." The current version of the PDF says "An A cell is 10 times as powerful as an AA cell."

That looks like corrected errata, and it should not be concluded that power cells are given a real-world equivalence in GURPS Ultra-Tech.
That's very strange. Like I said, I did look in the version I downloaded from BOH. But for some reason, the color version is not the most up-to-date version but the black-and-white version is.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:17 PM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Are there any guidelines for how TL9+ power cells from Ultra-Tech line up with TL6-8 batteries from High-Tech in terms of power generation?
4e made a decision to avoid hard data about batteries, but it appears that an F cell is supposed to power a medium vehicle (like a car) and weighs 200 lb, which is around a fifth the weight a real-world EV battery.