Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 08-12-2022, 12:20 PM   #1
phayman53

Default Languages with split comprehention

Is there a way to have different levels of literacy and spoken language without adding two different traits (one for spoken, one for written) separately? When I do this it takes up two different lines on the character sheets even if I make sure everything is spelled correctly. Is there a way of adding them but having it on one line so that you have Spoken-Native/Written-Illiterate (or any other split)?

Thanks!
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:02 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Languages with split comprehention

GCA doesn't support a single trait with two different levels like that.

Technically, you could have a single trait that walks through all the possible combinations as you increment/decrement, but that would be extremely unwieldy and annoying to use.

It is possible for a sheet that is printing traits to gather the languages and check for pairs of comprehensions, and then print those together. I didn't do that in this generation of sheets because it's a bunch of extra work.

I will add that to the request list for you.
Old 08-12-2022, 04:45 PM   #3
phayman53

Makes sense, thank you, for the response, I wasn't sure if I was missing something. And please do add that to the request list. Though it is not a huge thing (so please do not see this as complaining) but I do like having split language sometimes--especially if I have either a scholar type who knows several languages, often at higher written comprehension than spoken, or a merchant type who often knows them at higher spoken than written comprehension. In that case it would be nice if they weren't spread out over multiple lines.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 11:52 AM   #4
Angel Darkover

Alternatively, you could create new traits (in a supplemental data file) to represent the split levels. Copy the base trait for Spoken only and make 4 copies. Then, to each copy, add the cost of the written level desired and modify the name extension accordingly.

For example,

Code:
Language (Written at None; Spoken at level), 1/2.3, page(B24), upto(3 LimitingTotal), mods(Language), levelnames([None], Broken, Accented, Native), cat(Mundane, Social, Language, Language Spoken, Social Background), taboo(Native Languages > 1),
    x(#InputToTagReplace("Specify the language here:", name, , "Language (Spoken)"))
Language (Written at Broken; Spoken at level), 2/3/4, page(B24), upto(3 LimitingTotal), mods(Language), levelnames([None], Broken, Accented, Native), cat(Mundane, Social, Language, Language Spoken, Social Background), taboo(Native Languages > 1),
    x(#InputToTagReplace("Specify the language here:", name, , "Language (Spoken)"))
Language (Written at Accented; Spoken at level), 3/4/5, page(B24), upto(3 LimitingTotal), mods(Language), levelnames([None], Broken, Accented, Native), cat(Mundane, Social, Language, Language Spoken, Social Background), taboo(Native Languages > 1),
Language (Written at Native; Spoken at level), 4/5/6, page(B24), upto(3 LimitingTotal), mods(Language), levelnames([None], Broken, Accented, Native), cat(Mundane, Social, Language, Language Spoken, Social Background), taboo(Native Languages > 1),
In this way, you still only have one leveled aspect but you get a single line in your printout, sacrificing multiple lines in the application instead. Hopefully, this solves your dilemma. Please note that it DOES mean that if the written level changes, you have to remove the old trait and replace it with a new trait, since you can't level the written trait and spoken trait simultaneously.

Last edited by Angel Darkover; 08-22-2022 at 12:07 PM. Reason: fixed a small code issue
Angel Darkover is offline   Reply With Quote