Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #171
David Johnston2

Default Re: Advantages Are Not Utility Priced

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Comic books, or sci-fi (as opposed to science fiction; the difference being how hard the science is). That said, when I said "cyborg", I was thinking more in terms of bionics rather than cybernatic implants: replacing the skeleton with one made of steel, or replacing whole limbs with mechanical substitutes; that sort of thing. Frankly, I was picturing Ahnold.
Who would have been no match unarmed for a guy in a suit of TL 9 powered armour.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #172
dataweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Who would have been no match unarmed for a guy in a suit of TL 9 powered armour.
His GURPS counterpart (a TL9 combat android) certainly would have been.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #173
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Its' noteworthy that said Combat Android costs a tad (heh) bit more than 200 points.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #174
David Johnston2

Quote:
No, it wouldn't. It has no weapons. It has 30 points of DR versus the armour's 70.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #175
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Right. Really, what I've been arguing is that trying to use the same set of costs across genres is a fool's errand: if you're going to use character points at all, you need to customize according to the intended setting. And frankly, I'm more inclined to just ditch character points altogether; they're more hassle than they're worth.
But if you are going to count points, then you should be able to strip out the built-in UB costs which should only be setting specific.

After all, if we take as a base that 2d dmg has a cost value of [10], and if blocking 2d dmg takes 7 DR, then 7 DR should have a cost value of [10] as well.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #176
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
After all, if we take as a base that 2d dmg has a cost value of [10], and if blocking 2d dmg takes 7 DR, then 7 DR should have a cost value of [10] as well.
Why would you think that? No obvious reason for an attack and enough DR to negate the average damage of the attack should cost the same. TBH, you could make reasonable cases for the DR costing significantly more or significantly less.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #177
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Why would you think that? No obvious reason for an attack and enough DR to negate the average damage of the attack should cost the same. TBH, you could make reasonable cases for the DR costing significantly more or significantly less.
Value wise, X plus -X should equal out, so doing 2d dmg and blocking 2d dmg should equal out.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #178
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Value wise, X plus -X should equal out, so doing 2d dmg and blocking 2d dmg should equal out.
First of all, not necessarily. Some things are easier to prevent than to do, others easier to do than prevent.

Second of all, doing 2d damage and resisting 2d damage do not really have an X and -X relationship. On one of many hands, resisting 2d damage doesn't negate doing 2d damage...it negates doing 2d damage to you. On another, resisting 2d damage acts to devalue other people's 'doing 2d damage' abilities, but the doing 2d damage ability makes other people's resistance to damage more valuable! And really both abilities main value is usually going to be in reference to situations where the counterpart ability is not present...
Old 05-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #179
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Except GURPS is biased against defense for entirely rational reasons. Namely that if offense and defense are equal, combat takes forever to resolve. "1d [5] vs DR 3 [15]" is the current balance. Shifting the balance to "2d [10] vs DR 7 [10]" doesn't provide improved playability (and is rather implausible; its' much easier to damage something than it is to protect something from damage).
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #180
Langy

Quote:
You make some good points; although I'd quibble that in a Supers campaign where the cost of ST has been adjusted to enable super-strength, DR enough to protect against strength-based attacks is largely indistinguishable from Protection against firearms and up.

It really is more of a "setting" thing than a "TL" thing, overall.
True; I should have said 'protection against normal human ST-based attacks should cost the same regardless of TL/setting'. Superhumans get different breakdowns, and might be lumped into firearms or naval artillery or even higher, depending on the superhuman in question.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gm advice