Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #81
whswhs

Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Everyone, for high-quality products. They´re watchers.
Watcher implies watching with hostile intent; that's why it's a form of Enemy. The fashion industry press that eagerly reports every new outfit from a famous designer is not acting as an Enemy.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #82
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Realistically that still leaves problems around secrecy. Presuming they are actually selling ultratech products or services as their business, the great majority of them will need safety authority and/or regulatory approval.
It seems that many pharmaceutical companies work like this though.

Quote:
Okay, but FYI, patent protection in the U.S. is 20 years.
No patents for Genesis then.

Quote:
You don't need to pay receptionists, office cleaners, admin assistants, bookkeepers, interns, lab assistants, truck drivers, night watchmen, etc. the rates of highly qualified professionals. If you do, you will run into issues around heirarchical expectations.
The words are NAIs, robotics and swarms.

Quote:
Some more questions then: When did they become participants (particularly, before or after the merger, all in one sort of offering or over time)? What were the reasons for seeking them as shareholders, and what are their reasons and expectations for joining? Can you be more specific about the share percentages they hold?
The founders were shareholders from the beginning and currently hold 25%.

Quote:
Need clarification (though perhaps some will come from the questions above). I sounds like the lines of credit were secured around the time of the merger. You didn't say who provided them or how they were obtained (noting that the value of the company immediately after the merger seems to have been $120B, what revenue evidence/expectations supported the loan applications) . Also, hundreds of billions could be 200 or 900, can be you be more specific? Finally, how much remains outstanding on them, and what is/was the average of the carrying interest rate?
There were a couple of rounds of funding. Profits are great, for 120B the net income would have been about 15.12B.

Quote:
A simple majority of votes could effect a compulsory buy-out. If you have a supervoting share structure, proving you are being fair to the minority being forced out will be more rigorous. But another snag for realism is the nature of your minority holders. Governments and banks would be sophisticated investors who would probably have sought agreements to protect them from the whims of the majority of supervotes. Or they may have rejected a supervoting structure entirely.
Seems like a lot of companies work like this, i.e. Amazon.

Quote:
If I was a person or entity that is a viable rival, I would look at how I could induce WQ to mismanage over time leading to eventual critical business failures, possibly through faulty information or subtle problems with the algorithms.
Sure. It should get fixed before that happens though.

Quote:
Is this kind of split provided for or meaningful in the Boardroom and Curia rules?
Yes it is.

Quote:
Oh, and BTW, I think getting into a physical war with the nations of the earth will tank your markets and business prospects. And why would you. Just go to a poor archipelago state and cut a deal for what you need.
Sounds good enough. In fact, any idea that allows companies to merge will serve. I prefer that they deal with the conquest of Antarctica later.

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-11-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #83
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Watcher implies watching with hostile intent; that's why it's a form of Enemy. The fashion industry press that eagerly reports every new outfit from a famous designer is not acting as an Enemy.
Let´s solve the antitrust lawsuit first.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #84
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt View Post
For space assets I think you can get pretty far with Virgin Galactic like front and send up stuff in orbit under the guise of commercial satellites from fake companies you control. You wont be able to assemble big stuff in orbit of course, like a space station, for that I think faking asteroid mining is the way to go. You can send lots of probes and publicly you are just trying to get mining going and you are sure it will be profitable Real Soon Now.
Come to think of it, maybe the best place to hide a huge facility would be Jupiter's L2 or Venus's L1. Mars area is probably too busy to be safe.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #85
Celjabba

Quote:
Sure, but now they play at home. Will the public love a few bombings perpetrated by the nation's own rulers in the most important US cities against an apparently peaceful corporation that provides them with dreamy medical technologies and treatments?
You need to decide. Either they are openly TL 10/11 and sell such tech, in which case the whole world is fast following, or they keep their research secret and they cannot benefit from the PR and revenues.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #86
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
You need to decide. Either they are openly TL 10/11 and sell such tech, in which case the whole world is fast following, or they keep their research secret and they cannot benefit from the PR and revenues.
Genesis offers health services and pharmaceutical products, as well as other products that it can control, such as androids, artificial intelligences, virtual reality consoles and suits or electric power, and exploits other technologies to produce benefits, like the robotic manufacture or the biofabrication of human organs and other tissues. If it is possible to have a space program without the states putting their noses in, they also dominate space mining, otherwise that economic sector will have to wait. In any case it will take a few centuries to reproduce Genesis products by reverse engineering.

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-11-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #87
Donny Brook

Quote:
It seems that many pharmaceutical companies work like this though.
What? They can't sell anything in most countries without safety or regulatory approval.

Quote:
The words are NAIs, robotics and swarms.
Do you mean the workers? Does your entire company have no lower level human employees? I didn't have that impression from the initial write-up.

Quote:
The founders were shareholders from the beginning and currently hold 25%.
Well look, I'm not so keen on this discussion that I want to pursue it if I have to pull teeth to get information. I asked more that just that and you haven't answered.

Quote:
There were a couple of rounds of funding. Profits are great, for 120B the net income would have been about 15.12B.
That's another incomplete answer.

Here is what I asked: "You didn't say who provided them or how they were obtained (noting that the value of the company immediately after the merger seems to have been $120B, what revenue evidence/expectations supported the loan applications) . Also, hundreds of billions could be 200 or 900, can be you be more specific? Finally, how much remains outstanding on them, and what is/was the average of the carrying interest rate?"

If you don't want to actually discuss the subject, why did you post?

Quote:
Seems like a lot of companies work like this, i.e. Amazon.
Yes, a lot of companies have supervoting shares and there is no reason yours can't. But I don't see how that is relevant to the information I provided you about how they are addressed in buy-out situations and by potential investors. If you are concerned about realism, you now have information to factor into your narrative.

Quote:
Sure. It should get fixed before that happens though.
Sure, but not if I were successful. Are you asking how can rivals without any hope of rivalling you defeat you?

Quote:
Yes it is.
Really?
Old 01-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #88
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
1. What? They can't sell anything in most countries without safety or regulatory approval.

2. Do you mean the workers? Does your entire company have no lower level human employees? I didn't have that impression from the initial write-up.

3. Well look, I'm not so keen on this discussion that I want to pursue it if I have to pull teeth to get information. I asked more that just that and you haven't answered.

4. That's another incomplete answer.

Here is what I asked: "You didn't say who provided them or how they were obtained (noting that the value of the company immediately after the merger seems to have been $120B, what revenue evidence/expectations supported the loan applications) . Also, hundreds of billions could be 200 or 900, can be you be more specific? Finally, how much remains outstanding on them, and what is/was the average of the carrying interest rate?"

If you don't want to actually discuss the subject, why did you post?

5. Yes, a lot of companies have supervoting shares and there is no reason yours can't. But I don't see how that is relevant to the information I provided you about how they are addressed in buy-out situations and by potential investors. If you are concerned about realism, you now have information to factor into your narrative.

6. Sure, but not if I were successful.

7. Really?
1. Then get the approval, you dont need to step-by-step reveal how to copy your drugs (?).
2. Yes, it hasnt got workers like those.
3. Then I didnt understand the question.
4. Who provided what? The funding? By that level banks and investors were enough, and there is not much of a debt left, unless they get to ask the 6 trillion dollars out of the international community. If they get that money its about 6%.
5. Lets make it a supervoting structure then to get it easy.
6. Quick contest here.
7. Yes, -5 for the basic business and -10 for anything that needs to be kept secret.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #89
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Genesis offers health services and pharmaceutical products, as well as other products that it can control, such as androids, artificial intelligences, virtual reality consoles and suits or electric power, and exploits other technologies to produce benefits, like the robotic manufacture or the biofabrication of human organs and other tissues. If it is possible to have a space program without the states putting their noses in, they also dominate space mining, otherwise that economic sector will have to wait. In any case it will take a few centuries to reproduce Genesis products by reverse engineering.
I see a lot of assertions of ultra-tech in today's world without any explanation of how they got to that point at all, much less with no hint of any of it leaking out. It seems like you want us to say, "Yes, this is plausible," and that is never going to happen, because it is the exact opposite.

That leaves aside the question of not just why but HOW this megacorp is setting up a research base on Antarctica without drawing a lot of scrutiny for the massive amounts of materiel that would be required, from the Southern Hemisphere countries claiming sectors of the Antarctic and from the superpowers who would be keenly interested in that movement of people and property. You can't snap your fingers and make the base appear overnight.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 01-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #90
whswhs

Quote:
Genesis offers health services and pharmaceutical products, as well as other products that it can control, such as androids, artificial intelligences, virtual reality consoles and suits or electric power, and exploits other technologies to produce benefits, like the robotic manufacture or the biofabrication of human organs and other tissues.
What exactly do YOU mean by "android"? In the science fiction I read from childhood through the first phases of adulthood, an android was an artificially created living organism, as distinguished from a robot, which was a mechanical intelligence being capable of mobility. More recently, perhaps because of the influence of George Lucas, "android" or "droid" seems to mean a mechanical being, and artificial living organisms are called "bioroids."

If you are envisioning a company that is creating artificial living humanoid beings, it is going to have an incredibly negative Reputation among huge numbers of people—with some, for blasphemy; with some, for creating a slave race; with some, for threatening human dominance. You are likely to have to deal with what Dungeons and Dragons called the Angry Villager Rule. If it's creating human-shaped machines, the reaction will be much less, but such beings also make much less use of its core competencies.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
Closed Thread