Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Otaku

Default Unarmed Parry Is Unarmed Block?

I apologize if this is a well tread topic; my attempts at even advanced searches on the board failed pretty badly.

My experience with unarmed combat is pretty shallow; the tiniest bit of unarmed combat training from both the typical life experiences (rough housing plus one or two "serious" fights in school and a number of minor skirmishes) as well as the tiniest bit of formal training (Tae Kwon Do for a few months many years ago), plus the ever unreliable fictional examples. So more than once I've wondered why unarmed combat doesn't include a "block" option, and the obvious answer is that it does its just that its called a "parry". So is this purely a matter of semantics or are do the more detailed rules I don't have access to address this a little more?

I know some have said that a "block" is a failed parry where the foe chooses to hit the limb instead of the original target, but that doesn't seem right. I'm lousy in a fight but I still see a significant difference between guiding my opponent's blow away from me using a weapon or limb and interposing a limb (or even a weapon) to absorb most of the blow, especially if it is capable of doing so without receiving significant damage. This is as opposed to what I understand a parry to be (guiding a blow away from so that what would have hit misses). There is overlap (you're still making contact) but even unarmed there is a difference of my forearm knocking my opponent's off target and my forearm taking the hit but being able to absorb some or all of the force of the attack without harm. In a very stylized reality, I could just have a setting specific rule to match the reality of video games, but is there something about this already out there?

TL;DR: I don't find an unarmed parry to be close enough to an unarmed block to treat them as the same thing. Does an advanced rule distinguish between them or is this all just me not accepting reality?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 04-15-2014 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Pruning.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martial arts, technical grappling, unarmed block, unarmed combat, unarmed parry