Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 09-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #311
larsdangly

Default Re: HEAL spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I'm so relieved and happy NOT to see that healing spell in the new ITL.
Same. It would basically turn TFT into something that is still distinctive in its mechanics but that has a 'feel' similar to dozens of other fantasy roleplaying games. I already know what it is like to play a game where everyone gets patched up by magic between (or even within!) every encounter. I don't need another one.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #312
Terquem

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Same. It would basically turn TFT into something that is still distinctive in its mechanics but that has a 'feel' similar to dozens of other fantasy roleplaying games. I already know what it is like to play a game where everyone gets patched up by magic between (or even within!) every encounter. I don't need another one.
amen to this

I wan't TFT to feel like it did 40 years ago
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #313
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
amen to this

I wan't TFT to feel like it did 40 years ago
You absolutely can! Most of the "new" rules are things that have been in the system since forever; most people have probably house ruled them the way they want them.

As far as I can tell, the only substantive changes are:
  • Addition of a number of spells as seen in the thefantasytrip.game site
  • Separation of "dead" for purposes of revival into "immediate action" and "heroic magical revival" levels of dead
  • The new staff spells including the "staff battery"
  • Changing of the original wizard's staff to-hit from DX to better of IQ or DX
  • Increasing XP costs to increase attributes, and giving other things to spend XP on besides attributes

I'd say just keep house ruling things the way you always have. Ignore the new spells and new staff features, etc.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #314
larsdangly

The 'nearly dead' category is a pretty significant addition, as lots of combatants get off'd by just a couple of points. If you have a physicker handy, they will be patched up and ready to lose another fight before you can say 'evil hyperintelligent octopus' ten times fast.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:39 PM   #315
Skarg

Other changes I'm noticing:

* The changes to moving through dead bodies seems to me a major good improvement/tweak to a detail that matters a lot in practice for those who play out a lot of multi-figure battles.

* The (unconscious?) removal of the Changing Options line (in original Wizard p.5 and Advanced Melee p.4) saying that you can change option to Dodge or Defend any time before you've acted, if you have moved 1/2 MA or less, seems a pretty major change/mistake, to me.

* Some of the new spells would affect play a fair amount. E.g. the minor glamour to get positive reaction rolls... I can see whole cities full of people using that...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #316
Wayne

Quote:
I'm so relieved and happy NOT to see that healing spell in the new ITL.
It's all personal preference and as Chris said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
I'd say just keep house ruling things the way you always have.
I'll definitely be adding Heal in as a house rule spell.
Who's right? We both are!
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:53 PM   #317
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
It's all personal preference and as Chris said:
I'll definitely be adding Heal in as a house rule spell.
Who's right? We both are!
Agreed. But I like the lack of a healing spell because it is the classic TFT way, and it is different rather than just being like almost every other magic RPG, and I know that way does work and is fun, and so... it means that new players will get the suggestion and rare experience of a fantasy game without a healing spell, which otherwise they would not get and mostly would never think to remove a published healing spell. (But many will think to add one.) I think the same goes for some of the other interesting differences from D&D-like games, such as no "clerics are wizards" content, and no "everyone gets piles of hitpoints with experience". If you added that stuff, almost no new players would ever think to remove it, and so they get the chance to see how a game can be without it, but they're free to make up such stuff if they really think they need it.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:34 PM   #318
JohnPaulB

Quote:
The default setting assumption in Cidri though is that there are powerful wizards for hire organized into Wizards Guilds which you can find in practically any city, so the default assumption would be that if the spell is known, the guild would do what they could to get it, write it down, teach it, and offer it as a service.
Well, The Lawyers of the Wizards Guild could set up new spells with an Intellectual Property Clause. The spell name could be listed on the Wizard Guild book of records, but the process of how to do the spell is restricted to only those who sign a non-disclosure form. And if they want to actually perform the magic, they have to pay a substantial fee for one time use. If they don't, its infringement and liable to a visit from Luigi's local demon brothers.

So even though these spells are well known as far as their capabilities, not very many wizards know how to do them. And even then, not many want the hassle of confronting Wizard Lawyers to practice it.

How about that?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:02 PM   #319
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
Well, The Lawyers of the Wizards Guild could set up new spells with an Intellectual Property Clause. The spell name could be listed on the Wizard Guild book of records, but the process of how to do the spell is restricted to only those who sign a non-disclosure form. And if they want to actually perform the magic, they have to pay a substantial fee for one time use. If they don't, its infringement and liable to a visit from Luigi's local demon brothers.

So even though these spells are well known as far as their capabilities, not very many wizards know how to do them. And even then, not many want the hassle of confronting Wizard Lawyers to practice it.

How about that?
That's a creative and interesting way to limit spells... but if there's a revolution eradicating IP Law, or enough black market distribution (e.g. one person in the PC's party) or something, there's no practical limit backing it up.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:03 PM   #320
hcobb

Balanced Heal spell

Heal(S) The wizard pays 5 fatigue then spends one minute (12 turns) in casting while in physical contact (hands or staff) with the still living target. During the casting the target suffers no further damage from blood loss. At the end of the minute the wizard rolls and on a success the target recovers one hit of damage. The wizard may immediately perform another casting so that the target suffers no blood loss. This spell doesn't regrow missing parts. See the regeneration spell for that.