Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2018, 12:15 AM   #21
Skarg

Default Re: HEAL spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Balanced Heal spell

Heal(S) The wizard pays 5 fatigue then spends one minute (12 turns) in casting while in physical contact (hands or staff) with the still living target. During the casting the target suffers no further damage from blood loss. At the end of the minute the wizard rolls and on a success the target recovers one hit of damage. The wizard may immediately perform another casting so that the target suffers no blood loss. This spell doesn't regrow missing parts. See the regeneration spell for that.
Better than the original suggestion.

However (apart from just not wanting a healing spell) the main issue I had with the original suggestion from Steve still exists with this one: there's no cap on the healing. Any amount of injury can be healed with enough ST being put into the spell. This encourages the use of apprentices (even troupes of slave hobgoblin apprentices, or whoever you can get to know the Aid spell, and/or be a Drain Strength subject) to get as much quick healing as possible. Nobles and the wealthy, and some guild houses, military units, and PC parties, may likely want to try to always have a healing mage and a team of people with Aid, and/or have many people learn Aid even just to be able to help cast this spell. And tracking the fatigue recovery and casting of Aid spells to see how quickly a group of injured people (such as the PCs, all the time) would be a tedious pain and yet so important a thing to do that it would always make sense to track the rate at which any healing mage with an injured patient can rest up and keep casting this spell until there's no one injured to heal.

I.e. it's an issue to make really powerful strategies that are most effective when you do a lot of something that is unpleasant.

As I posted above, I think if you must have such a spell, aren't just looking to handwave most wounds away because you don't like lasting wounds, AND don't want to be having a thing where injuries are healed at the rate of fatigue recovery by the people in the group with Aid spells, then there ought to be a limit like with Physickers, especially the part where after a wound has been treated, it's now "treated damage" which cannot be healed further by physickers or magic spells.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote