Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #31
Daigoro
 
Daigoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Meifumado
Default Re: O'Neill Cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I have 10 km radius here, and period 200 seconds. My reading suggests that that is ample to avoid dizziness, disorientation, and sickness. But there will be some noticeable Coriolis effects. A person running fast (10 ms^1) to the east will feel a 6% increase in "gravity", and a person running fast to the west a 6% decrease. The difference in long-jump distances will be the same. Rising in a high-speed lift (1 storey per second) you will feel a force of a 0.9% of a gee pushing you east.

I don't think it will affect anyone's Rugby skills.
5-6%, or a 10-12% range in ability, would be quite significant in many situations. With guns, having to shoot higher or lower by that much (and it would be more at bullet velocities) would give a huge penalty to skill.

I think Rotating Frame G-Experience would be a valid enhancement if you want to go for realism.
__________________
World Wikis:
Cyberpunk: Duopoly Nation
Fantasy: Dominion Cross
Space Opera: Behind the King's Eclipse
Steampunk: Colonial Steam
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #32
Agemegos
 
Agemegos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oz
Default Re: O'Neill Cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
I think Rotating Frame G-Experience would be a valid enhancement if you want to go for realism.
Good point.
__________________
copyright Brett Evill
FLAT BLACK discussion group at tekeli.li
On-line texts at flatblack.wikidot.com
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:19 AM   #33
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist
 
jeff_wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dallas, Texas
Default Re: O'Neill Cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I'm foreign. You can't expect me to recognise such oblique references to Disney World.
But it's right there by the spaceport!


Blown up or no, my point is that they don't necessarily have to go far afield to have those environments available for training, especially if there's a place purpose-built for high-budget, short-time-span tourism/dversion. Like the luxurious capital space habitat described.
__________________
.
Reposed playtest leader.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard

Last edited by jeff_wilson; 03-19-2011 at 01:28 AM.
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:36 AM   #34
Agemegos
 
Agemegos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oz
Default Re: O'Neill Cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Blown up or no, my point is that they don't necessarily have to go far afield to have those environments available for training, especially if there's a place purpose-built for high-budget, short-time-span tourism/dversion. Like the luxurious capital space habitat described.
Sure. I don't go in for single-biome planets, and even if I did you would be dead right about the possibility of building different sorts of environments as training ranges at a single campus. It is the gravity issue that binds. I think I need free-fall, asteroidal gravity, light, medium, and heavy. So I can get away with a light planet, a heavy planet, and multiple locations in this solar system.
__________________
copyright Brett Evill
FLAT BLACK discussion group at tekeli.li
On-line texts at flatblack.wikidot.com
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:15 AM   #35
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist
 
jeff_wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dallas, Texas
Default Re: O'Neill Cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Sure. I don't go in for single-biome planets, and even if I did you would be dead right about the possibility of building different sorts of environments as training ranges at a single campus. It is the gravity issue that binds. I think I need free-fall, asteroidal gravity, light, medium, and heavy. So I can get away with a light planet, a heavy planet, and multiple locations in this solar system.
The habitat is superior to Disneyworld in that lower gravity levels are available at locations closer to the axis, and if you have those pods I mentioned a while back extending further from the axis, then you've got heavier gravities, though they might not be roomy enough for operations there to count as field exercises.
__________________
.
Reposed playtest leader.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:17 AM   #36
Peter Knutsen
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Default Re: O'Neill Cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Sure. I don't go in for single-biome planets, and even if I did you would be dead right about the possibility of building different sorts of environments as training ranges at a single campus. It is the gravity issue that binds. I think I need free-fall, asteroidal gravity, light, medium, and heavy. So I can get away with a light planet, a heavy planet, and multiple locations in this solar system.
What about also training in rotational gravities?

For slow RPM rotations, like in an O'Neill size habitat, the coriolis(sp?) effect should be neglible, but for much smaller habitats it will be an issue.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #37
Agemegos
 
Agemegos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oz
Default Re: O'Neill Cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
What about also training in rotational gravities?

For slow RPM rotations, like in an O'Neill size habitat, the coriolis(sp?) effect should be neglible, but for much smaller habitats it will be an issue.
There are rotating habitats in the Solar System, others besides the Capitol.
__________________
copyright Brett Evill
FLAT BLACK discussion group at tekeli.li
On-line texts at flatblack.wikidot.com
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #38
Peter Knutsen
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Default Re: O'Neill Cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
There are rotating habitats in the Solar System, others besides the Capitol.
But is it part of the training regimen? If not, should it be?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #39
Agemegos
 
Agemegos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oz
Default Re: O'Neill Cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
But is it part of the training regimen? If not, should it be?
Certainly it should. The Fleet Protection deployment involves a lot of boarding and inspection on smaller-sized colonial habitats. (Besides ships and asteroids.)
__________________
copyright Brett Evill
FLAT BLACK discussion group at tekeli.li
On-line texts at flatblack.wikidot.com
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #40
tshiggins
 
tshiggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver, Colorado
Default Re: O'Neill Cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
The habitat is superior to Disneyworld in that lower gravity levels are available at locations closer to the axis, and if you have those pods I mentioned a while back extending further from the axis, then you've got heavier gravities, though they might not be roomy enough for operations there to count as field exercises.
Also, unlike Disneyworld, the O'Neill Habitat probably doesn't have that pernicious rodent problem.

:)
__________________
--
MXLP:9 [JD=1, DK=1, DM-M=1, M(FAW)=1, SS=2, Nym=1 (nose coffee), sj=1 (nose cocoa), Maz=1]
"Some days, I just don't know what to think." -Daryl Dixon.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
custom setting, flat black, o'neill cylinder, orbital habitat, space

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.