Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2018, 01:57 AM   #1
scc
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default [Space] Haven And Carson's World

For those who don't know Haven and Carson's World are the two worlds of a single star generated in the example sections for world building chapters in Space. The rest of the 'setting' for the two seems to be a straight copy of Star Wars or the Foundation novels.

Haven is stock Garden World inhabited by a group refugees from the empire who are trying out democracy and Carson's World is a Mars like world in the next orbit out. The interesting thing about Carson's World is that it has some alien ruins on it that rebel scientists are exploring. Now this is a bit problematic, why are there ruins on the uninhabitable planet but not the habitable one? And given that there is an unexplored M5 companion star, I'm guessing that there's some sort of alien relic in orbit around that as well.

Now using this as the basis for a campaign it's TL10^ and either Safetech or Retrotech, it's a bit hard to tell with Star Wars' science fantasy setting. The tricky thing I've got is how to set the players up, the only idea I've got is that one of them inherits a spaceships, but I'd rather something more broad minded then independent traders high-jinks.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:56 AM   #2
Rupert
 
Rupert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellington, NZ
Default Re: [Space] Haven And Carson's World

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Haven is stock Garden World inhabited by a group refugees from the empire who are trying out democracy and Carson's World is a Mars like world in the next orbit out. The interesting thing about Carson's World is that it has some alien ruins on it that rebel scientists are exploring. Now this is a bit problematic, why are there ruins on the uninhabitable planet but not the habitable one? And given that there is an unexplored M5 companion star, I'm guessing that there's some sort of alien relic in orbit around that as well.
Well, the why of this can be a mystery for the PCs to solve, if you want. As for an answer for you, as GM - make something up. Maybe the aliens wanted something that's found on Carson's World but not Haven. Maybe there are ruins on Haven but the more active environment has destroyed them, or they simply haven't been found yet because they're buried in a jungle.

As for whether or not there are alien ruins somewhere around the companion - that's entirely up to you.

And when it comes to giving the PCs a ship, but not wanting them to just be independent traders - make the ship one that's unsuited to trading. Maybe have it be provided as some government-sponsored mission to go out and find something, or to be spies.
__________________
Rupert Boleyn

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:41 PM   #3
tshiggins
 
tshiggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver, Colorado
Default Re: [Space] Haven And Carson's World

If you wanted to take a different tack from Star Wars, you could steal an idea from Brian Daley's space opera series about Hobart Floyt and Alacrity Fitzhugh, which began with, Jinx on a Terran Inheritance.

In that series, the ancient Precursors left unique ruins and machinery throughout the galaxy, all of which seemed designed to promote intelligence and psionic abilities, and get a handle on causality in such a way as to provide very limited oracular insight about possible future events.

This made them so highly valued that sometimes people fought wars to control the sites. Also, attempts to understand the Precursors acted as a unifying theme for background events, and provided long-term goals for the main characters in the trilogy.

Make the ruins an old, abandoned research post left by a vanished race, which they used to try to manipulate a Precursor site deep within the planet. Say they did something, and it wiped out the sizable colony the researching race had on the garden world.
__________________
--
MXLP:9 [JD=1, DK=1, DM-M=1, M(FAW)=1, SS=2, Nym=1 (nose coffee), sj=1 (nose cocoa), Maz=1]
"Some days, I just don't know what to think." -Daryl Dixon.
tshiggins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:47 PM   #4
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: [Space] Haven And Carson's World

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
For those who don't know Haven and Carson's World are the two worlds of a single star generated in the example sections for world building chapters in Space. The rest of the 'setting' for the two seems to be a straight copy of Star Wars or the Foundation novels.

Haven is stock Garden World inhabited by a group refugees from the empire who are trying out democracy and Carson's World is a Mars like world in the next orbit out. The interesting thing about Carson's World is that it has some alien ruins on it that rebel scientists are exploring. Now this is a bit problematic, why are there ruins on the uninhabitable planet but not the habitable one?
The habitable world probably had its ruins eroded by the elements and buried by geological movement while its abandoned colony founded by Alien Musk was relatively well preserved by a trace atmosphere and being geologically dead.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 12-26-2018 at 12:53 AM.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
PTTG
 
PTTG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Default Re: [Space] Haven And Carson's World

The aliens might be anaerobic life, and thus find a planet full of oxidizer as terrifying as we would find a planet with open seas of chlorine.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: [Space] Haven And Carson's World

The precursors could be very into not causing ecological disasters. Colonization would make such things inevitable.
That's if they could survive the planet as easily as humans. It doesn't have to be as extreme as radically different forms of respiration. It could be amino acid differences, unpleasant gravity, or just native life really stinks to them.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #7
doctorevilbrain
 
Join Date: May 2009
Default Re: [Space] Haven And Carson's World

Why would colonization inevitably cause destruction?
doctorevilbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:38 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: [Space] Haven And Carson's World

Invasive species. It would be logistically impossible to 100% stop all alien life from spreading if people are there all the time. Not necessarily large pests like mice, but equivalents of yeasts, bacteria, viruses, etc.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #9
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Re: [Space] Haven And Carson's World

And the equivalent of parasite could go both ways if the ecosystems are anywhere near compatible. Imagine the horror that humans would feel if an alien parasite infested humans while they were sleeping appeared on the Earth from a recently colonized planet. It could just be a parasite that lived in the large intestine, feeding on human waste while laying its eggs in human feces before it is excreted, but humans would flip out when they realized that they were hosting an alien organism. If it also influenced their mental state by releasing chemicals that the bowels absorbed, the flip out would be on an epic level.
AlexanderHowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:00 AM   #10
Rupert
 
Rupert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellington, NZ
Default Re: [Space] Haven And Carson's World

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
And the equivalent of parasite could go both ways if the ecosystems are anywhere near compatible. Imagine the horror that humans would feel if an alien parasite infested humans while they were sleeping appeared on the Earth from a recently colonized planet. It could just be a parasite that lived in the large intestine, feeding on human waste while laying its eggs in human feces before it is excreted, but humans would flip out when they realized that they were hosting an alien organism. If it also influenced their mental state by releasing chemicals that the bowels absorbed, the flip out would be on an epic level.
We already have similar parasites, and they are native to Earth. We don't flip out, we go to the doctor and get the applicable treatment if we're in a wealthy country, and if we're in a poor one we manage as best we can with folk remedies, minimal professional treatment, and/or simply living with the parasite.
__________________
Rupert Boleyn

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
space

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.