Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
GoblynByte

Default Selling to players only...

I think it would be a great idea (at least from a consumer perspective) to sell the Adventurers PDF separately. Maybe Spells, as well. Probably 75% of the set is of little use to players, and I think being able to buy one or two PDFs at an appropriate price might open up the market a bit.

Just a thought.
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
GoblynByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Selling to players only...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblynByte View Post
I think it would be a great idea (at least from a consumer perspective) to sell the Adventurers PDF separately. Maybe Spells, as well. Probably 75% of the set is of little use to players, and I think being able to buy one or two PDFs at an appropriate price might open up the market a bit.

Just a thought.
Personally I would really prefer it if players read Exploits. I like it when people have some idea of what they can actually do and how to do it.

In practice most of them are only going to skim Adventures, which if you really wanted to be cynical about you really just could tabulate a list of the templates with brief summaries, and a similar list of the kewl powerz.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
lachimba

I have had a player ask if they can buy just one book in PDF.

Leaving out the adventure is one thing, but I'd say the other three books are worth having for everyone.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
GoblynByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Personally I would really prefer it if players read Exploits. I like it when people have some idea of what they can actually do and how to do it.

In practice most of them are only going to skim Adventures, which if you really wanted to be cynical about you really just could tabulate a list of the templates with brief summaries, and a similar list of the kewl powerz.
And most players will want to buy Exploits. And GMs may want him/her to buy it. No argument there. But making it a requirement (when it really isn't) means forcing them to spend $60 just to participate and buy a bunch of stuff they may never use. Having Adventurers available alone means the player might be able to get all he needs for only $10 (more or less). Low cost can be an incentive to buy at all.
A sense of obligation."
Old 09-18-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
And most players will want to buy Exploits. And GMs may want him/her to buy it. No argument there. But making it a requirement (when it really isn't) means forcing them to spend $60 just to participate and buy a bunch of stuff they may never use. Having Adventurers available alone means the player might be able to get all he needs for only $10 (more or less). Low cost can be an incentive to buy at all.
Adventurers isn't a requirement either. Really you just need one copy of the game for the group.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 09-19-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #6
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Adventures isn't a requirement either. Really you just need one copy of the game for the group.
I could see 2-3 Spell books being handy, between the GM and each spellcaster player wanting to reference spells. A couple copies of the Adventurers books can speed up character creation.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #7
GoblynByte

Quote:
Adventures isn't a requirement either. Really you just need one copy of the game for the group.
Well, no RPG book is ever a requirement. The GM can just manage combat while everyone else fights over the book.

But, realistically, Adventurers provides the players with a primer on the game and setting, while providing all the information they need to arrive at the table with a character in hand. Beyond that the GM can just manage the flow of information using his knowledge of Exploits.

Think of the old AD&D Player's Handbook and DMG. There were no combat rules in the former. Only character creation information. The GM handled translating player ideas into rules.
A sense of obligation."
Old 09-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #8
GoblynByte

But that's all ultimately technicalities. It would just be good to have the option to have a low entry point for those who want it. I doubt it would do anything but enhance sales.
A sense of obligation."
Old 09-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #9
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

I think this is a great idea. Adventurers, Spells, and Exploits. And the Character Creation Cheat Sheet (if that's not going to be a free PDF).

I'm likely to print and bind my PDFs (I did with G:DF) anyway, and I'll probably put all of that in one book.

I'm also going to compare the helpful backs of the books to the GM screen and whatever's additionally useful from them, I may print into a separate reference book/sheet.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
But, realistically, Adventurers provides the players with a primer on the game and setting
No it doesn't, it doesn't really have anything about how to actually play the game and there is no setting worldbook in the boxed set at all. GMs are mostly on their own to provide any setting information for the players.
Quote:
while providing all the information they need to arrive at the table with a character in hand.
I would much rather encourage the kind of players who show up knowing how to play and ready to collaborate with each other and me when making compatible and appropriate characters than the kind who insists on making characters in a vacuum and refuses to learn the basics of the game system.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 09-18-2017 at 07:28 PM.