Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Architectural Pentagrams

for setting reasons I'm thinking about a variant of the Pentagram spell that not so much a spell by a Technique of Thaumatology skill. That it's not unknown "one task wonder" use of the skill. [semi akin to working feng shui or Dresden file magic circles]

Particularly an Architect can design one into a defensive wall the with how having a mage to enchant it. It will probably need to be activated when the door/gate is closed [closing the circle] with some mixture Pentagram's designers skill and the activator's Will based Thaumatology skill being used for the contents of a magical creature trying to force their way though.

So the energy cost for the covered area will need to rewritten as a skill penalty of some sort in designing and building the circle. probably paired with activation/content penalty based on area, that can be counter balanced with ritual group working together. But I do want it be scaled such that a one built into a tower can be reasonably activated by a solo mage, but an "epic" circle built into city wall would take a large group.

But other game balance aspects of how to write this up, i would also like this thread to be about the World building consequences of this bit of Thaumatology as I don't only see this as just wizard towers but part of Major castle walls.

Last edited by roguebfl; 07-19-2017 at 02:14 PM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Architectural Pentagrams

If the pentagram spell exists this is simply the permanent version. If it doesn't then it depends on how magic does work in the setting.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If the pentagram spell exists this is simply the permanent version. If it doesn't then it depends on how magic does work in the setting.
As is said I'm using that spell rules for it's functions incantation. However what I'm talking is radically changing it so it's size limitation aren't based on the publish energy cost, so and that Enchanting rules don't apply. [and needing feedback on fair limits for this]

it also mean any occultist with a bit chalk can make a quick a dirt one, not just skilled meta college mages. As well as a foundation of "do castle still work in a setting with magic" thread but one the presumes that it reasonable the major ones at least to have a pentagram available to them as part of their walls.

This will probably replace Pentagram is prerequisite chain the various dome spells too.

Last edited by roguebfl; 07-19-2017 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

If the symbol has power only because of sacred geometry or whatever and anybody can learn to do it, then I would consider the Effect Shaping rules for the Ward ritual from Thaumatology p. 150-ish (151 maybe?) but defaulting to Symbol Drawing instead of Ritual Magic.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #5
(E)

I have played with the idea a bit as well. Without going into house rules etc. The basic idea is that castles can have unpowered wards built in, they are generally hidden beneath the structure of the castle and are only accessible from one secure room with in the castle (a strategic/plot point) which serves as a location with an "inside" and an "outside" as well as where power is funneled in. (I use a three to one power efficiency advantage to represent the various dedicated powerstones (defensive and preset use only) (and to provide a defender's advantage)).

The area is usually built to take advantage of any enchanting resources the mage in residence has at their disposal as well.

Edit
I keep meaning to write up what Symbol drawing can do in this situation but I never quite get around to it.

Another idea, if you want to apply a "force multiplier" to magic from a castle, is to have the built in wards function like the staff enchantment and remove any distance penalties from the defensive mage's casting within the confines of the castles walls.

Last edited by (E); 07-19-2017 at 06:16 PM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
Shostak

What about requiring the architect to also know Symbol Drawing in order to appropriately work a magical symbol into a structure?
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #7
Humabout

This sounds like rolling against the lower of Architect or appropriate craft skill and Symbol Drawing to me.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:04 AM   #8
Anaraxes

Is it harder and more expensive to build a pentagram wall than the regular sort? If not, there's no reason not to do so, and they'll be employed routinely (at least as widely as the knowledge of the technique allows). Not just castle walls, but any building would have them, the way all (modern) real-world buildings have grounded electrical systems.

If that's not the desired world-building goal, then you'll need a way to limit the proliferation of pentagrams. One traditional way is the trope that mages are scarce and busy, but if just any architect or builder can do so, without needing any special inborn talent or arduous training, then you either get a lot of cheap pentagrams, or else have to invent some other barriers to their deployment.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote