Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #201
jason taylor

Default Re: bending stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
Socrates was a hoplite in the Peloponnesian war.

Luke
Hoplites were militia and served for their city not for a job. That phenomenon was already accounted for.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:11 PM   #202
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Hoplites were militia and served for their city not for a job. That phenomenon was already accounted for.
And if you include such compulsory service*, Michio Kaku has you well covered in "really smart guy serves a term in the military."

* I think Greek service was compulsory, but it may have just been so expected as to otherwise face being permanently branded a coward.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #203
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
And if you include such compulsory service*, Michio Kaku has you well covered in "really smart guy serves a term in the military."

* I think Greek service was compulsory, but it may have just been so expected as to otherwise face being permanently branded a coward.
It was required for citizenship rights. This became awkward when oarmen-who did not need to equip themselves-demanded enfranchisement on the basis of their contributions. Athenian politics can sound weirdly like American politics sometimes. But yeah being branded a coward would also do it.

The author however specifically mentioned soldiers serving as a temp job to beef up their future careers. That excludes both professionals and militia as well as conscripts and volunteers that come from all classes during a big war and often include intelligent people. It would probably also exclude nobles as "noble" is just a fancy way of saying "military brat". Sometimes distinctly emphasizing the brat part but that's another story.

That said it must have been known in the past. Some Alexandrine troops probably were of this kind. Collect a bit of loot, buy your way home and set oneself up in Attica where one can mingle with philosophers in the agora. Or become a local boy-a lot of the dozens of Alexandria's were probably supply stations and it is on record that the retirees hung around each other and simply stayed put and formed their own communities probably around such places giving. Giving Old Al a superb extra force to suppliment his regulars for keeping natives in line and giving retired troops protection in civilian life. All that really would be needed would be to plop a warehouse and a fort in a convenient area and call it a "city" and it would take on a life of it's own.

Last edited by jason taylor; 10-08-2016 at 05:39 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:30 PM   #204
Irish Wolf

I enlisted in the Air Force in 1986 because I thought it would help me get a job in software engineering without a degree later. After I got out, I came to find that I was mistaken - HR managers don't care what you've done, they care about whether you have certification. But essentially, that was a case of someone with a moderate education (2 years of college at that point, which got me enlisted as an E-3) going into the military as a "temp job".

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:32 PM   #205
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
I enlisted in the Air Force in 1986 because I thought it would help me get a job in software engineering without a degree later. After I got out, I came to find that I was mistaken - HR managers don't care what you've done, they care about whether you have certification. But essentially, that was a case of someone with a moderate education (2 years of college at that point, which got me enlisted as an E-3) going into the military as a "temp job".
There are certification programs for vets with related MOS training, I don't know if there were in 1988 though.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #206
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Athletic child is misunderstood by nerdy parent, who can't understand their obsession with "sportsball" and pressures them into joining the chess club.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #207
jason taylor

Janisary Tree is an inversion of the "evil eunuch" stereotype.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #208
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Athletic child is misunderstood by nerdy parent, who can't understand their obsession with "sportsball" and pressures them into joining the chess club.
That would be a good one.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:33 PM   #209
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Trance Gemini on Andromeda if I remember turns out to be the Genus Loci of a star whose avatar is an amiable pinkish-purple alien getting a job as a free-trader.
That character's nature and abilities wobbled all over the place. Other than one way off genre episode here and there where she exhibited time control powers or immortality that were ignored in every other episode, she was mostly a near useless mascot level crew member.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:49 PM   #210
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I could see that making a good story. Maybe bonding when they both discover the joy of sports statistics and absolutely dominating the fantasy football leagues.