Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
Zachary1234

Default Playing GUALs on other players.

May Go Up a Level cards still be played on an opponent, desirable under rarer circumstances? May GUAL cards like 'Kill a Hireling' play as two separate conditions, one conditions, or some one way only and others both ways?

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 12-19-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Zachary1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Playing GUALs on other players.

GUAL cards can be played on other players, and the rules now make sure to clarify that. However, if the target of the level can't get the level, you can't play the card.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Zachary1234

Sometimes GUAL cards state "you cannot play this card unless..." which happens in two cases that I own for killing a hireling.

Though what happens with the "kill a steed" one if there is no steed?

TO GUAL cards that have an alternative text option than just Going up the level always play for all written consequences at once (custom action and going up a level), or may such as those be played for either, ignoring the custom ability?
Old 12-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

If a GUAL comes with a condition like "Kill A Hireling," then there has to be a Hireling in play. There are other cards which come with conditions, and I'm fairly certain Andrew has posted a couple of rulings on those cards. If I find them before you run into them, I'll provide links.
MiB #1029
Old 12-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Zachary1234

Do such GUAL cards have two choices, or which may take either one, or one choice, requiring you to take the both of them? Or can it be both of these, depending on the GUAL card and the totality of its game text?
Old 12-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a GUAL card which specifically says that you have options. I'm sure it's possible that I'm forgetting one, but, for the most part, they're worded as complete instructions of what you must do, and even then, the majority of them just tell you to Go Up A Level.
MiB #1029
Old 12-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
Zachary1234

There are Gual cards that state your can go through your discards to find a Race or a Class. And that have the go up the level. When using these, can you choose one and not the other? Do you have to do both?

If you have the option to choose one but not the other, does this pattern percolate to absolutely ever GUAL card? Or can they be both or either, depending on the text?
Old 12-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
MunchkinMan

The card's text should make it clear. Not including Munchkin Pathfinder, there are 256 GUAL cards. I'm not going to give the break down on each one. But, I did find Feed GM's Dice Habit, which clearly says that you can use it go through the discards instead of going up a Level, to take a Race, Class, Accent, Loyalty, etc.
MiB #1029
Old 12-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
Zachary1234

So are there GUAL cards that give the (instead/either) option when those two terms are not printed on them, or apart from those terms, must one do the extra ability and take the level up, but not both?
Old 12-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
MunchkinMan

Again: I'm not hunting through every card. It would seem that there are 3 kinds of GUAL: Ones with one simple instruction, ones with multiple instructions, all of which must be followed, and ones with either/or options. Hopefully each card will be clear which one it is.
MiB #1029