Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Striking Strength and Readying Heay Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Or you just shift it and don't worry about changing costs. Damage is still a greater value over encumbrance and Min ST.
I'd disagree. For anyone but a low tech melee combatant encumbrance is more valuable.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #12
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
I can't see any pitfalls but if you think costs are balanced RAW, you probably want your modified Lifting ST and Striking ST to both cost 4/level.
If shifting weapon wielding to the domain of Lifting ST makes Striking ST too expensive and Lifting ST too cheap, then changing the cost of each to 4/level sounds worth trying – and nicely simple, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore
I already shifted bows and crossbows over to Lifting ST, and no one complained in my games.
I was wondering whether anyone's tried that. Again, it sounds like an effect I'd like (without yet having tried it). PCs with slow Lifting ST would benefit from heavy bows, which sounds right to me.

Then we have throwing. For thrown weapons, just as with melee, min ST for a thrown weapon would refer to Lifting ST, but distance and damage would remain matters of Striking ST. For general thrown objects (B355), at a quick glance, I think no change would be needed: that system already calls on Lifting ST (via BL) to set what you can throw, then Striking ST for final distance and damage.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:41 PM   #13
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I'd disagree. For anyone but a low tech melee combatant encumbrance is more valuable.
Considering the thread's title and connotations, I'm not worried about high tech games.

But even in those, if melee becomes important (Monster Hunters, Post-Apoc low ammo games, etc), then melee damage output is still more important than encumbrance (okay, it's a toss up in a Post-Apoc game. Beans and bullets don't carry themselves after all).

And usually as I've seen it, the Striking ST Character always get's their encumbrance up to the "I'm only at Light when fully laded" before really going wild with Striking ST.

Sometimes even going as far as "I'm always at No Encumbrance", but then they are also usually trying to carry as little as possible beyond their kit.

And of course, in Ultra Tech settings, ST is often a "dump" stat as people pour money into solving the ST problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
For general thrown objects (B355), at a quick glance, I think no change would be needed: that system already calls on Lifting ST (via BL) to set what you can throw, then Striking ST for final distance and damage.
Yup.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote