Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
oneofmanynameless

Default [Ability Builds] Ultimate Free Running

So I've been trying to figure out how to model an ability that basically mimics being able to Free Run effortlessly. It's an actual power in the context I'm making it for (supernatural ability with an activation cost and limited duration), otherwise I'd normally just give a skilled free runner Acrobatics on a really high number and maybe perfect balance. But in this context it needs to be an advantage.

The image I'm imagining is basically someone running through a really dense forest at full sprint speed, effortlessly ducking under, dodging around, jumping/dive-rolling over all obstacles, and occasionally making turns at on dime at full speed by kicking off trees (it'd be cool if it also made it easier to evade attacks intended to stop you moving! Although it's intended to be a movement ability and so you should only be able to get that defensive bonus will sprinting!)

Anyone have any idea how to make that happen?
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [Ability Builds] Ultimate Free Running

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
So I've been trying to figure out how to model an ability that basically mimics being able to Free Run effortlessly. It's an actual power in the context I'm making it for (supernatural ability with an activation cost and limited duration), otherwise I'd normally just give a skilled free runner Acrobatics on a really high number and maybe perfect balance. But in this context it needs to be an advantage.

The image I'm imagining is basically someone running through a really dense forest at full sprint speed, effortlessly ducking under, dodging around, jumping/dive-rolling over all obstacles, and occasionally making turns at on dime at full speed by kicking off trees (it'd be cool if it also made it easier to evade attacks intended to stop you moving! Although it's intended to be a movement ability and so you should only be able to get that defensive bonus will sprinting!)

Flight, with a limitation that you have to be able to touch the ground once per move, or every other move?
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:

Enhanced Move (Accessibility, Only for ignoring limiters, -40%), perhaps with a modifier so you can't exceed your base move, only cancel penalties. In such a case I'd call that a -20% and then maybe 2-2.5 levels would do it.. This would let you ignore things that reduce your speed like unsure footing, climbing obstacles, etc. You'd still need to make skill rules and such (by a No Nuisance Rolls perk to ignore that) and you'd still take penalties to skills or attributes (buy Terrain Adaptation with Active to ignore that).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 03-10-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #4
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Flight, with a limitation that you have to be able to touch the ground once per move, or every other move?
I was wondering about that. Requires Surface forces you to touch something every 5 seconds. If it's not just a surface but something you could "stand" on I might eyeball it at another -25% for a total -45%.

What about throwing the "Cosmic (Complete Maneuverability) +50%" modifier for enhanced move from Supers on there?
Old 03-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #5
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Enhanced Move (Accessibility, Only for ignoring limiters, -40%), perhaps with a modifier so you can't exceed your base move, only cancel penalties. In such a case I'd call that a -20% and then maybe 2-2.5 levels would do it.. This would let you ignore things that reduce your speed like unsure footing, climbing obstacles, etc. You'd still need to make skill rules and such (by a No Nuisance Rolls perk to ignore that) and you'd still take penalties to skills or attributes (buy Terrain Adaptation with Active to ignore that).
Also super interesting. Although, for the record, Terrain adaptation deals with the move penalties on it's own: "You do not suffer DX or Move penalties for one specific type of terrain."

Would it be possible or broken to put the "Cosmic (Complete Maneuverability) +50%" on the terrain adaptation (active)?

Last edited by oneofmanynameless; 03-10-2017 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Don't know why I posted, wasn't done writing
Old 03-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Also super interesting. Although, for the record, Terrain adaptation deals with the move penalties on it's own: "You do not suffer DX or Move penalties for one specific type of terrain."
But not weather penalties or obstacles.

Quote:
Would it be possible or broken to put the "Cosmic (Complete Maneuverability) +50%" on the terrain adaptation (active)?
I don't see why not. It might even be better to use Terrain Adaptation and slap some Cosmic up there.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:25 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
I was wondering about that. Requires Surface forces you to touch something every 5 seconds. If it's not just a surface but something you could "stand" on I might eyeball it at another -25% for a total -45%.

What about throwing the "Cosmic (Complete Maneuverability) +50%" modifier for enhanced move from Supers on there?
This seems the best way to model what you asked for to me.
the trouble with Flight (requires Surface) is it wont let you duck under branches or make sharp turns.
See GURPS Power Ups 4: Enhancements page 9 for better detail and more options. Second-Nature, +150% combines 3 versions of Cosmic +50% for speedsters.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:14 AM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Add Permeation (Obstacles that can be avoided with a DX-based action; No Signature).
Old 03-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Alternatively, the appropriate skills at high levels and no nussiance roll Perks
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Alternatively, the appropriate skills at high levels and no nussiance roll Perks
OP specified that the solution has to be advantage based; that said, a custom Talent at high levels would be helpful.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote