Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #31
Anthony

Default Re: Zombies in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
Would it be cheesy/unbalanced to have the creatures only make All Out Attacks?
No, I pretty much recommend it, tracking defense rolls is annoying anyway. Just give them low skill so they need the +4 to actually hit anything.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #32
vierasmarius

Quote:
Thanks

Should I add some Damage Resistance to represent that shooting/hitting and bashing them anywhere but the head is largely futile since you're just putting holes in dead meat unless you can do enough damage to maim or dismember the zombie?
Zombies presumably already have IT: Unliving, which makes them resistant to non-Vitals piercing hits. Giving them IT: Damage Reduction 2 on top of that could work, and matches the general guideline that Unliving objects have double the HP you'd expect based on their mass. Damage Resistance makes sense if they've got tough leathery hide, or simply ignore tiny injuries.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #33
Keiko
Banned

Is there a disadvantage I could give the zombies to make called shots easier against them?
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #34
apoc527

Quote:
Is there a disadvantage I could give the zombies to make called shots easier against them?
For melee attacks, there's no need. Because zombies never Dodge or take any other Active Defense, you can always Telegraph your attacks for a +4. That reduces the skull penalty to -3.

For ranged attacks, it's a bit tougher, but again the "never Dodges" thing is handy. I actually think your Move 3 is a bit high, but it does depend on the zombie. If they were Move 1, for example, then you could aim for 3 turns per shot while backing up. I admit, though, this is not what you see in The Walking Dead. (I think Move 3 is good for walkers.)

Anyway, for ranged attacks, soaking up that -7 is tough. For one, I'd say that a lot of zombie-killers quickly put points into Targeted Attack (Guns/Head). That quickly reduces the penalty to -3 for only 5 points. A braced, aimed gun likely soaks up the rest of that and then provides range penalty counteraction.

In The Walking Dead, most zombie shooting with pistols is done at really really close ranges, so this should work fine. Aside from that, I'd just say that anyone surviving a zombie war is gonna be a damn good shot.

Also, assuming that zombies don't dodge and that the average person has Dodge 8 or 9, that means that ALL attacks against zombies score about 50% more hits than against the living.

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #35
Keiko
Banned

Thanks!

The head shot trope sometimes seems to be largely plot driven. Making head shots is a problem as long as its interesting/exciting or scary. Once the character have figured it out you'll see people that just picked up a gun a week ago making running head shot in the dark and hitting with every shot.

But they're rarely that deadly when fighting other humans. It can be difficult to model that sort of thing mechanically.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #36
trans

Bites from Komodo dragons are apparently really, really infectious.
trans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #37
apoc527

Quote:
Thanks!

The head shot trope sometimes seems to be largely plot driven. Making head shots is a problem as long as its interesting/exciting or scary. Once the character have figured it out you'll see people that just picked up a gun a week ago making running head shot in the dark and hitting with every shot.

But they're rarely that deadly when fighting other humans. It can be difficult to model that sort of thing mechanically.
It wouldn't be unreasonable to create some kind of limited Talent for guns that only applies against zombies. Because you are right, it's often a plot device thing and it's equally true that the same people good at shooting zombies in the head at 20 paces can barely hit another human even at close range.

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:33 AM   #38
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
It wouldn't be unreasonable to create some kind of limited Talent for guns that only applies against zombies. Because you are right, it's often a plot device thing and it's equally true that the same people good at shooting zombies in the head at 20 paces can barely hit another human even at close range.
Probably a levelled Higher Purpose will fit better. After all, a Guns skill is 4/level, and inter-skill defaults are generous (so you rarely see characters with huge investments in more than one instance of Guns).
Old 03-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #39
fifiste

Reluctant killer could work wonders there. A penalty to hit humans not monsters. Quite suitable to lot of white hat zombie survivors too.
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:02 AM   #40
Mailanka

Quote:
Thanks!

Use Impulse Buys to represent this. Give players extra tokens/bennies/whatever per session, and let them spend them on called shots against zombies.

You can also allow them to purchase Targetted Attack: Headshot as a technique (buying their skill up from -7 to a maximum of -3)

Tags
zombie, zombies