Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2017, 06:49 PM   #11
Culture20

Default Re: Combat by Chess

I played a game of Archon* within D&D before. It gave something for the wizards and the combat monster to do instead of just an opposed skill roll.
*An old but amazing chess-like computer game where taking a square became a test of skill in real-time combat.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #12
dcarson

Strategy and Research can matter on a meta level. The end roll can be on Chess but knowing the opponent is Lecherous and having Beautiful women around to distract him, or that they have a mild Phobia and wearing a shirt that reminds them of the phobia to rattle them gives a bonus or penalty in the Chess roll.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:48 AM   #13
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
I'm not so sure about using Tactics or Strategy or whatever to accumulate bonuses; I think that stuff is all in the Chess skill.
I agree; the Chess skill is Strategy (Chess) and Tactics (Chess).

Still, I could see allowing generic Strategy and Tactics as complementary skill rolls. That'd represent employing some non-Chess lessons from real-world strategy/tactics to enhance chess play. (Or screw it up, if the rolls go poorly...)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote