Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: Additional materials for The Deadly Spring

There's fibreglass, then there's fibreglass, then there's fibreglass. It's a somewhat vague word in a materials science sense. Like "steel". That's why TDS has several different kinds in there already :)

I haven't got a clue what modern high performance skis are made out of - last time I was skiing, parabolics were a radical new thing... but I'm pretty sure it's a composite of several different kinds of stuff in alternating layers.

I can see making a bow out of skis though, many similar materials requirements - skis store energy by flexing and release it by springing back, much like bows. It would at the very-least be decent, although if I had my druthers I'd go with a composite designed for bows specifically... I think skis are usually expected to spring back slower than a bow.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
Steven Marsh

By the by, if all parties involved (err... that'd be Bruno and DouglasCole, in my mind) were interested, I don't mind adding these to the "official" spreadsheet for this issue, making it available to those who bought the issue previously; feel free to hash it out with me via email, if you're so inclined.

(I can't add it to the text for the issue... that's too much added expense, I'm afraid. But updating a ZIP file is easy.)
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #13
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
By the by, if all parties involved (err... that'd be Bruno and DouglasCole, in my mind) were interested, I don't mind adding these to the "official" spreadsheet for this issue, making it available to those who bought the issue previously; feel free to hash it out with me via email, if you're so inclined.

(I can't add it to the text for the issue... that's too much added expense, I'm afraid. But updating a ZIP file is easy.)
Fascinating.

When I get back from Asia (about a day from now), I'll have to think on this more!
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #14
jacobmuller

Great, and if you're updating the spreadsheet you could edit out the "$"&* bit that prevents it from calculating cost, or maybe you've already done that and I just need to download a fresh copy?

*Arrow Table sheet: G3 to G16 and Material List Pounds sheet G2 to H36
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bows, deadly spring, materials, pyramid 3/33