Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #11
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [TG] Confused about hit locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
Okay, I may not be clear. The attribute penalties scale fine. What doesn't scale and needs to is how many CPs you must spend to achieve the three effects on p. 5 that aren't causing damage. You should need to spend more CP against a ST 50 opponent for the same effect.
No, if you spend 10 CP against someone making a ST-based roll, he's -5 to ST. If you send 10 CP against someone that's ST 50, that should probably be -1 to DX-based rolls. That scaling makes sense, but the absolute -1 per 2 CP for ST works out OK.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #12
Gef

Quote:
Okay, I may not be clear. The attribute penalties scale fine. What doesn't scale and needs to is how many CPs you must spend to achieve the three effects on p. 5 that aren't causing damage. You should need to spend more CP against a ST 50 opponent for the same effect.
As I said, I see your point, but I see other factors. Which is closer to an edge case, two ST 50 giants, or ST 15 human hero (PC) against a ST 50 giant (monster)?
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:23 PM   #13
ArchonShiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
No, if you spend 10 CP against someone making a ST-based roll, he's -5 to ST. If you send 10 CP against someone that's ST 50, that should probably be -1 to DX-based rolls. That scaling makes sense, but the absolute -1 per 2 CP for ST works out OK.
Unless I'm completely misunderstanding your book, the absolute -1 per 2 CP for ST is for active control anyway, not for spending CP.

Spending CP will either reduce the foe's ability to win a contest (e.g. a feint) or reduce a hit location penalty, (or for damage/break free CP, which don't need scaling). However, scaling does not occur in theses cases: When you say "If you send 10 CP against someone that's ST 50, that should probably be -1 to DX-based rolls", I agree that it should, but it currently doesn't, as the scaling rule (Bigger and Stronger!) only affects active control, not spending CP.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #14
DouglasCole

The 1-1 spend t to reduce location penalties probably works as-is. What I'm suggesting if you don't care for the way the rules are now is to change them for cases where it makes sense.

If you've got two ST 50 giants fighting, then if you've got a case where you're rolling a Contest and a giant is rolling vs ST, then the usual reductions make sense. Against DX or skill, not so much, perhaps.

The hard part is usually achieving CP, so spending them was given priviledge. In fact, active control and spending CP are one of the important ways high ST critters act like high ST critters.

The only place I would consider scaling is when reducing a combatant's DX-based scores, but even so, in play, no one has brought this up as an issue. And I know it's been used against biguns before.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #15
ArchonShiva

Maybe I'm being overly influenced by your writings on banning ST-based success rolls and assuming it's all going to be DX or HT. We've had no no high-ST grappling yet, so we'll se when we get there.

Thanks.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #16
DouglasCole

Quote:
Maybe I'm being overly influenced by your writings on banning ST-based success rolls and assuming it's all going to be DX or HT. We've had no no high-ST grappling yet, so we'll se when we get there.

Thanks.
Best way to try it is to actually try a fight - pit two high-ST monsters against each other in a grappling and striking fight, and see what (if anything) breaks.

Tags
pass limb