Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
thedanster7000

Default Spells for creating weapons

One of my players wants to make his character able to create weapons made of ice using magic. I thought about using Shape Water, Freeze, and Armory skill to do this but it seems a bit slow and complicated. Is there a way to do this?
Old 11-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Spells for creating weapons

Ice Daggers is a missile spell that does this. Otherwise you probably want a new spell.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
Bicorn

I'd probably let them have a custom spell based on Create Item. It'd let them make weapons and tools made of magical ice that melt when dropped. That the items are ice instead of "solidifed illusion" or whatever Creations are is basically just a special effect.
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn View Post
I'd probably let them have a custom spell based on Create Item. It'd let them make weapons and tools made of magical ice that melt when dropped. That the items are ice instead of "solidifed illusion" or whatever Creations are is basically just a special effect.
I would go with the Create Object idea but change the prerequisites so your creating an ice object, not an illusion.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I would go with the Create Object idea but change the prerequisites so your creating an ice object, not an illusion.
Another vote for this solution. Just add a clone of the Create Object spell to the Water college and set the prereqs -- I think I'd just go with Freeze (which entails Shape Water and Create Water).

I'm assuming you're using the standard magic system (as seen in Basic and GURPS Magic), of course. If "using magic" means something else in your game, there'd be a different answer.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:29 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Another vote for this solution. Just add a clone of the Create Object spell to the Water college and set the prereqs -- I think I'd just go with Freeze (which entails Shape Water and Create Water).

I'm assuming you're using the standard magic system (as seen in Basic and GURPS Magic), of course. If "using magic" means something else in your game, there'd be a different answer.
I agree with this as well. Also note that the ice melts, not vanishes when its no longer touching someone.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Objects made with Create Object can fool people, and I suspect the intent here is that these weapons look like ice sculpture.

I would also have it give +2 damage to objects used as weapons (which doesn't stack with Icy Weapon).
Old 11-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
thedanster7000

I think I'll go with a create object clone then. Would the quality of all the weapons be cheap, with the Icy Weapon bonuses?
Old 11-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedanster7000 View Post
I think I'll go with a create object clone then. Would the quality of all the weapons be cheap, with the Icy Weapon bonuses?
I would just put in some fluff about "supernaturally strong ice" because you really don't want to be messing around with density and weapon weight.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #10
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedanster7000 View Post
Depends on how "realistic" you're being, I think. Realistically, yes, a weapon made of regular ice would probably count as cheap-quality at best. But if you're doing that, you should probably discount the spell's energy cost even more, compared to Create Object, since that doesn't create cheap-quality items, and it would be unfair to charge as much for a spell that does.

Alternatively (and this is what I'd do), you could just say "to heck with 'realism', this is a wizard creating magic weapons out of magic ice!", and let them have full weapon quality. Honestly, if you're giving the Icy Weapon bonus, you're probably already beyond the realm of just "frozen water" - stabbing someone with an icicle just below the freezing point of water is not going to add +2 damage to whatever impaling damage the icicle would do.

Actually, you could make the spell a bit more interesting by making the cost variable depending on the weapon quality: something relatively low for cheap-quality, slightly higher for good, and expensive for Fine or even Very Fine.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote