Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 09-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #21
PenitentDemon

Default Re: wordbound NPCS and overdoing it

sorry for bumping an old thread didnt want to have to create a new one for a similar question.

What do you think the Angel of "Respect for the office of PotUS would be doing right now?" given the condition their words in?
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #22
robkelk
Untitled

Every Wordbound does what it can to strengthen its Word, within the overall rules set down by Heaven or Hell.

I shan't mention specifics that would be taken to be political; we've already had the latest in our traditional "there's a new President" threads deleted.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:49 AM   #23
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenitentDemon View Post
sorry for bumping an old thread didnt want to have to create a new one for a similar question.

What do you think the Angel of "Respect for the office of PotUS would be doing right now?" given the condition their words in?
Apropos of earlier in the thread, "Respect for the office of POTUS" would be an unusually small Word, being linked to only one country however large. (There's a running joke among expats that Americans don't understand that there is a rest of the world at times.) "Respect for Leadership" perhaps? "--for Elected Office"? This is potentially an old angel, going back to the Greek city-states at least.

Spreading such a Word out among all relevant nations and not just one would also prevent...extinction? I mean, if there was an angel of Yugoslavian Unity they'd be in a heap of trouble now, unless their word was broader to the extent of Blended Nations.

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 09-28-2017 at 03:50 AM. Reason: I know my history better than that!
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:04 AM   #24
Jason

I don't see country-specific words going too much narrower than the NPC statted up in Blandine's writeup, The Angel of the American Dream. I could see that angel feeling kind of beleaguered but very active right now. Depending on the political bent of your campaign, they might be investigating some political actors as suspected servitors of the enemy, making personal visits to learn more about "Dreamers" (in the political sense of the word AND the literal In Nomine sense of the word), possessing crowd members or police at protests, etc.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #25
PenitentDemon

Oh something I just thought of, iis the word of Telemarketing, under Greed, or the Media?
Old 10-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #26
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Oh something I just thought of, iis the word of Telemarketing, under Greed, or the Media?
Definitely not The Media - you don't need to run ads in order to telemarket.

However, you can run telemarketing scams... so maybe Theft?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #27
PenitentDemon

Oh another thing wondered a bit... do you think a wordbound will be more opposed to someone directly opposed to their word, or who perverts it?

e.g. think the Angel of patriotism will be more hostile to the demon of Jingoism or the Demon of Treason.

Hmmmn think the words gray enough for them to be a Angel of "Letters of Marque and Reprisal"

Last edited by PenitentDemon; 10-21-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:23 AM   #28
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Oh another thing wondered a bit... do you think a wordbound will be more opposed to someone directly opposed to their word, or who perverts it?

e.g. think the Angel of patriotism will be more hostile to the demon of Jingoism or the Demon of Treason.

Hmmmn think the words gray enough for them to be a Angel of "Letters of Marque and Reprisal"
An opposing Word will certainly draw its proper ire. But when beings on opposite sides of the War share a Word, the feedback can start to drive both of them crazy -- see the Archangel and Demon Prince of Fire, for an extreme example. Under those circumstances, "purifying" your Symphonic concept can be of the utmost importance.

That's the ultimate version of perverting a word, but I think it underscores the attitude. Patriotism vs. Jingoism wouldn't have the same automatic feedback, but I think there would be a similar need to protect your Word from pollution. Whether opposition or perversion, the key is to assess how badly the other Word can damage or transform your own. Once you know that, you'll know how extreme the response will be.

An Angel of Privateering? Hmmm, intriguing possibility. Are you thinking it would be Judgment (since it granted legal authority to act against another nation), War (since it allowed an opponent to even the score by quickly recruiting a navy), or The Wind (since it involved appropriating goods in a righteous cause)?

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:14 PM   #29
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Ive noticed most Statted NPCS have only a few songs and skills even the powerful ones, any thoughts on that?
Something it has taken me a long time to understand as a GM is the concept of conservation of detail (or conservation of fiddly bits). Most published game stats, for any system and especially for simplified systems like In Nomine aren't anywhere near as complex as they could be, and this is a good thing. Sure the Angel of Textiles could have tons of specific esoteric skills involving cloth, Roles in every aspect of textile production and usage, and every song even vaguely related to her Word, but that really is just wasted detail (and wordcount) when the important thing is to that the Angel can fix the Shroud of Turin when the PCs bring it to her.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:18 PM   #30
PenitentDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
An opposing Word will certainly draw its proper ire. But when beings on opposite sides of the War share a Word, the feedback can start to drive both of them crazy -- see the Archangel and Demon Prince of Fire, for an extreme example. Under those circumstances, "purifying" your Symphonic concept can be of the utmost importance.

That's the ultimate version of perverting a word, but I think it underscores the attitude. Patriotism vs. Jingoism wouldn't have the same automatic feedback, but I think there would be a similar need to protect your Word from pollution. Whether opposition or perversion, the key is to assess how badly the other Word can damage or transform your own. Once you know that, you'll know how extreme the response will be.

An Angel of Privateering? Hmmm, intriguing possibility. Are you thinking it would be Judgment (since it granted legal authority to act against another nation), War (since it allowed an opponent to even the score by quickly recruiting a navy), or The Wind (since it involved appropriating goods in a righteous cause)?

Hmmn the letters probaly under Judgement, but the act of privateering is probaly under the wind.

Oh the Angel of Patriotism is probaly a Malakim of the Sword and the demon of Jingoism is probaly a Habbahlite... Not sure if its under Factions or Baal

Oh another Thing? Who you think Halloween would be under?

Kobal? Nybass? Haagenti?Beleth? So many possibletys.

Last edited by PenitentDemon; 10-31-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Tags
theories, word-bound