Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-06-2017, 09:28 PM   #1
Ransom

Default Share Your Game Master Panic Moments

Share times a session did not go as planned.

Last edited by Ransom; 03-20-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #2
thastygliax

Default Re: Share Your Game Master Panic Moments

When I was running a silly holiday-themed adventure from Polyhedron Newszine, the half-elf enchanter's player gleefully immersed himself into the role of effete, smarmy charmer (and only incidentally an actual spellcaster) "Fabio the Fair, of the Fey Folk." When they reached the final room, and burst in on the chief bad guys--who, naturally, were expecting them--Fabio immediately launched into his usual splashy self-introduction, and improvised from there. Everyone at the table was soon laughing so hard that none of us wanted to stop him. When he wound down after a couple of minutes, I said, "Well, that surprised them. You all go first. Roll initiative."
Old 10-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #3
whswhs

You know, I don't think I find this sort of thing to be a rare surprise. It's actually nearer the truth to say that's what I call "game mastering." At least, I run a lot of sessions where I confront the PCs with something, see how they react, and make something up.

If I want to make sure that the PCs deal with X, I have them assigned or hired to deal with X. That's what bosses and clients are for.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Phone rings: "Hey, we've decided to game tonight, can you make it?" "Short notice but sure." Great, we start in 15 minutes, and you're the GM!"
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
Phone rings: "Hey, we've decided to game tonight, can you make it?" "Short notice but sure." Great, we start in 15 minutes, and you're the GM!"
LOL, that's most of my high school era GM'ing. I'd wake up to one of my players sitting on my bed, calling the others on my phone "Hey, get over here, we're gaming today."

That's usually how I found out I'd be spending my day GM'ing.

Last edited by MIB.6361; 10-17-2017 at 12:47 PM. Reason: reasons
MIB.6361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
sjard
Stick in the Mud

When D&D 5e came out, there happened to be one of the sadly usually very short lived (4-6 months, almost always due to mismanagement*) LGSes nearby.

Anyhow, I bought the PHB (the rest weren't out yet), and went home. I went back to hang out later that evening because why not it was close by, and the owner asked "So, you ready to run a game in 10 minutes?" I just looked at him and snorted "Maybe next week, but I haven't done more than flip through the book yet."
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:17 PM   #7
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

This is one of the reasons I don’t go to cons anymore. Most of the people who run the cons know me and consider me family. So, if I show up, I’m put to work. Sometimes on games I don’t know a thing about . . ..

Several years ago, when Star Wars Miniatures was a thing, I had purchased the AT-AT (because I wanted a freaking AT-AT!). One of these people asked if I could bring my AT-AT to (specific con) so he could re-create the Attack on Hoth. I said “sure,” knowing that Hand of Bobb would love to stop by the dealer’s room.

The day arrives and we head to the con. I find my friend (who shall remain nameless) and he tells me that one of the other event's runners didn’t show up and he was going to be there, running that, so I’d have to run the SW Miniatures event. I tried to remind him that I didn’t play the game and had never read the rules. He wandered off, and with fifteen minutes before the game I read the rule book.

I apologized to the players, and they were really understanding. And they wound up having a great time as I played fast and loose with the rules and aimed more for a Star Wars feel then an accurate reflection of the rules.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
Michael Cule

The time I agreed to run someone else's scenario in a CALL OF CTHULU tournament at a small local con.

I read the scenario, thought 'OK, I can do this....' and then about two thirds of the way through the allotted time I hit a bit that Made Absolutely No Sense.

I don't now remember what it was: just something that didn't fit with the rest of the scenario and invalidated everything I'd told the players up to that point.

I'd like to tell you that I improvised magnificently and wove a seamless illusion of competence in the eyes of the players...

But it wouldn't be true. I had to say 'Oh'. And then 'I'm sorry fellas but....' and end the scenario early putting as much blame on the author the piece as I could.

I prefer nowadays to run something I wrote myself. At least I know what the idiot who wrote it meant that way.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote