Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2006, 06:59 AM   #1
blacksmith

Default Ending Effects early

For a telepath I am makeing I wanted him to be able to choose to end a afliction early, before the duration would be up. How do you do this?
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:15 AM   #2
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Ending Effects early

Some people allow it as a freebie for afflictions, but I use Variable for that purpose.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
Some people allow it as a freebie for afflictions, but I use Variable for that purpose.
The well by the book I am not sure if you can choose to end it early with that, you can choose to not use your full ammount of extended duration, but that is not the same thing.

+15% Endable?
Old 06-22-2006, 08:32 AM   #4
Gudiomen

There's two scenarios:
a) inflicting an affliction with less than it's total possible length. In this case I'd use variable, you simply use less power. This is not really a freebie, by the book, because Extended Period and such are used to create specific durations, not ranges. That's what Variable is for... plus, it's cheap.

b) ending the effect of an affliction, after you've inflicted it. For instance, you have te power to blind people for 5xMF seconds (MF = margin of failure)... you use your afliction and the target rolls and is blinded for 25 seconds. However, you suddenly need him to see and want to cancel that effect at 5 seconds, for instance. I believe this is your actual question...

I read something in Powers about this, I think... anybody have the book? It's specifically on cancelling effects and the like...

It would also depend on the sort of power, if you inflicted blindness through physical means (over-exposure to a flash, or sand in the eyes) there's not much you can do, or if your power functions by triggering certain biological responses on the target. If your power is more "magical" in nature, then it would be acceptable, probably, although the actual rules escape me.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:50 AM   #5
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen
There's two scenarios:
a) inflicting an affliction with less than it's total possible length. In this case I'd use variable, you simply use less power. This is not really a freebie, by the book, because Extended Period and such are used to create specific durations, not ranges. That's what Variable is for... plus, it's cheap.

b) ending the effect of an affliction, after you've inflicted it. For instance, you have te power to blind people for 5xMF seconds (MF = margin of failure)... you use your afliction and the target rolls and is blinded for 25 seconds. However, you suddenly need him to see and want to cancel that effect at 5 seconds, for instance. I believe this is your actual question...

I read something in Powers about this, I think... anybody have the book? It's specifically on cancelling effects and the like...

It would also depend on the sort of power, if you inflicted blindness through physical means (over-exposure to a flash, or sand in the eyes) there's not much you can do, or if your power functions by triggering certain biological responses on the target. If your power is more "magical" in nature, then it would be acceptable, probably, although the actual rules escape me.

It is B, and that is why I was thinking of it as an enhancement. I looked through the secion on activation and deactivation in powers. IN the concentrate section it only does not cover this specificaly.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:00 AM   #6
Mehmet
MIB

Powers p. 154; it is state that "voluntary deactivation is only possible with switchable powers" so I'd say you'd need (I know, it is a bit extreme :)) an affliction or something that NEGATES your own transient ability. I wouldn't though :) If it is not too unbalancing I'd allow early cancellation of transient abilities if it has "variable" enhancement (OK, if you wish, we may call it "endable" :))...

Cheers...
Old 06-22-2006, 09:03 AM   #7
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmet
Powers p. 154; it is state that "voluntary deactivation is only possible with switchable powers" so I'd say you'd need (I know, it is a bit extreme :)) an affliction or something that NEGATES your own transient ability. I wouldn't though :) If it is not too unbalancing I'd allow early cancellation of transient abilities if it has "variable" enhancement (OK, if you wish, we may call it "endable" :))...

Cheers...
That is what I was thinking, I was just wondering if anyone knew of an official version of this. And it should be more expensive than variable as you can choose to do it later.

I guess I could get the effect with some verion of static, but that would be a very odd way to create that specific effect. BUt it would be how I would model someone who can generaly end others telepathic afflictions.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:06 AM   #8
laserdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmet
So give the power Switchable +10%?

I know it's not exactly appropriate, since you're not switching your ability to use the affliction on and off. But it sure sounds right...
laserdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancellation, switchable