Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-20-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
LemmingLord

Default [OOC] Villains Round Table

This is a reboot of a 2013 PBP game that never quite got off the ground.

Player Roster So Far
LemmingLord - Yes (!). "Feebleman."
ericthered - Yes (!). "Death (of Smallpox)."
zoncxz - Yes (!). "Agent Chaos."

Talosian - Maybe (?)

Round Table Playing/Gamemastering

Everyone playing controls a villain player character that exists in the same shared game world AND plays the narrator/antagonist for another player.

Character Creation

Character power levels were superhuman. At 1000 points GURPS characters, I'd say they are n the upper X-men level power levels. For those who had characters in the 2013 game, obviously you can use that character; but I think we should consider "rebooting" the character, to bring whatever new take on the character you might have here three years later; or a completely new character works too.

Can we start with a general character concept description? Something like the seven sentence NPC character is usually a good start.
1. Occupation or history
The first sentence serves as the introduction to the character, describing his occupation and giving a brief history of the character.

2. Physical description
The second sentence is a brief physical description of the character, maybe giving some insight into his style and perhaps hidden motivations.

3. Attributes & skills
The third sentence describes the character's attributes and skills. Here, any attributes above or below average should be noted.

4. Values & motivations
The fourth sentence is one of the most important, from a role-playing point of view. This sentence describes the values the gamemaster/narrator can exploit to motivate the character.

5. Interactions with others
This sentence describes how the character interacts with others and gives the gamemaster/narrator some idea what kind of fun NPCs to interact with the character.

6. Useful knowledge
This is stuff that the narrator/gamemaster should try to showcase in an adventure. That is, if the character knows downtown new york like the back of his hand, obviously there is going to be a reason to go to downtown new york or someone may be recognized as a figure.

7. Distinguishing feature
This is something if the character appeared in a lineup that would tend to make him easily identifiable. If the character became a mainstay in comics, this would be something artists would always try to include (Magneto likes his cape and helmet combo; Doomsday is huge and has sharp bone fragments protruding from his skin; Lex Luthor is bald or wig-wearing)

Should we stick with GURPS as a general framework for character creation? If so, should we stick with the same character creation model as the 2013 PBP?

Shared Gameworld

Once we all have character concepts we all like, we should probably determine what kind of world they all live in. We know this is like our world. I think it would be awesome to be visibly "the real world" of 2016, with modifications to go with our character concepts.

Last edited by LemmingLord; 08-20-2016 at 06:42 PM.
LemmingLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [OOC] Villains Round Table

I'm in.

Yes, this is a work in progress.

Oh, the death of smallpox:

1. Occupation and History:
Death of smallpox is one of the most experienced death's on payroll. The deaths are heavily inspired by irregular webcomic, but a little more serious. Smallpox is but is currently in a sort of limbo state, picking up odd jobs like delivering the souls of heroes who can fight back and occasionally giving VIP's tours. Smallpox is currently trying to pick up the soul of _____, a hero with all sorts of connections who reneged on a deal with death itself.
2. Physical Description
He looks like the classic grim reaper: a skeleton in a black hooded robe carrying a scythe. The robe is heavier than most.

3. Attributes and Skills
Smallpox is quite intelligent, and has an iron will. As a death, He is an immortal being freed from the needs of the flesh, and has the power to move from place to place with ease, stealthily if necessary, taking others with him. He can sense life force, remove it with a touch, restore or strengthen it. He has a natural command over spirits of the dead. He's very familiar with humans, but still struggles to understand them in more than an academic sense.

4. Values and Motivations
Smallpox is devoted to his job, and is proud of both his organization and his status in it. He understands humans are really fussy about dying, but finds that rather silly and pays no heed to it. He values order, particularly the natural order. He gets particularly miffed when the rules are broken. He normally tries to keep others rules, but that's out of politeness --- he'll break that if he gets frusterated.

5. Interactions with Others
Smallpox tends to come off a little old fashioned, what with all of the bowing and formality and the archaic phrasing. He is extremely polite to all, if often abrupt and uncompromising. He's often slow to resort to physical interaction with mortals, but fairly pleasant with his 'charges'. In the old days he was terrible efficient, but now he has a bit more time.

6. Useful Knowledge
Small pox is an incredibly old being with a long memory, remembering much of history, a solid understanding of human disease, and a fundamental knowledge of the afterlife.

7. Distinguishing features.
Small pox is easy to pick out of lineup that doesn't include black robed cultists. Among other deaths, he's distinguished by the twisted and pockmarked wood of his scythe

I can use either game system.

World building to match the characters should be fun. The real question is if powers are open, completely secret, for four color comic-like.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 08-21-2016 at 05:36 AM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #3
LemmingLord

So maybe I will play Feebleman all over again. Let me see what the reboot would be a little different.

1. Occupation or history
Fred Farly is a spoiled rich kid who turned to dark magic to save him from a terminal disease; thanks to the wishes he made, Fred will now live forever, but will always retain his painful chronic condition; and although he can wish for small boons, each of them come with a corresponding painful curse to go with it. Calling himself "Feebleman," based on what the demon who blessed/cursed him used to refer t him, Fred now uses his powers to entertain himself by making the world his own "grand theft auto" and finding new ways to die.

2. Physical description
FeebleMan will be played by Lucas Heges. He is physically frail man at 5'9" 1/2, 130#s, in his late teens / early twenties; Caucasian often with a sickly yellowish complexion. When he "respawns" he is dressed in a polo shirt, khakis and sandles; but he often likes to wear the clothing of people he has killed or whose lives he is trying to live."

3. Attributes & skills
Feebleman has always been quite versatile when it comes to books, games and computers. He is becoming more and more proficient at stunt driving, shooting various guns, breaking and entering, making explosives out of household ingredients and anything found in the boy scout manual or anarchist cookbook. Besides serial immortality (coming back in a brand new copy of his body somewhere "safe" nearish to where he died last), Feebs can make small wishes which are granted with a downside curse to go with it until he makes a new wish to replace the last one.

4. Values & motivations
Fred has spent half a decade as someone sickly who wasn't allowed to do anything lest it aggravate his condition. He finds that with enough medications he can be a somewhat normal person who can do whatever he wants and see "what would happen" without consequences. This rebooted version is a little softer than the 2013; though he may dabble occasionally in sadistic behavior, he is really after the curiosity of "what would happen if I did something totally crazy no one's done before?"

Fred is a compulsive liar with most people, often going into his Eddie Haskel routine, telling people what they want to hear to get what he wants from them "Thank you Mrs. Cleaver, I can't stay, but might I borrow some fertilizer and robitussen?" For those who prove to see through his lies, he ignores to find someone else, uses violence to take what he wants or cowers if they are truly can overpower him.

6. Useful knowledge
Fred's good at going through computer information quickly, guessing/finding passwords, and architecture (specifically he can tell which walls are load bearing and where the drywall is). He loves going to the most dangerous parts of towns and picking fights, getting himself killed, and then coming back later to "try that level again."

FeebleMan is thin and scrawny, often has a cough, and sometimes Jaundice or other easily identified symptom of a serious medical condition.

Last edited by LemmingLord; 08-20-2016 at 04:23 PM.
LemmingLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #4
LemmingLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
World building to match the characters should be fun. The real question is if powers are open, completely secret, for four color comic-like.
I think it depends on the characters we decide to play. We know there are spirits, souls, demons and some kind of related magics so far... That could easily work with the "completely secret" side.

What kind of challenges would you like to see Death (of small pox) face?

Honestly, for Feebs, I'd like to see what our impression of "what if" that the mostly mundane world would do when faced with someone with this kind of ability. So I would like that the mundane still rule and supers, in whatever form they take, are as rare as true celebrities, and the mundane world has between five and ten years experience dealing with some of these kinds of supers... What do you think?
Old 08-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #5
zoncxs

Lets see what I can steal- I mean bring to the virtual table.

1. Occupation or history
Agent Chaos was born on a monday, as THE Avatar of chaos itself he tends to break the norm.

2. Physical description
He looks like an Olympic athlete turned up to 11, He also look like the cross between a burnt victim and a rabid gorilla with leprosy, and not in a good way.

3. Attributes & skills
His strength and speed are world class, easily out lifting and out pacing the best, he can also run for very long distances before getting a hint of fatigue. His hand to hand skills are also at a masters level and he is proficient in every type of weapon out there.

4. Values & motivations
He values chaos above all. He is a devout chaos agent and does everything he can to mess with everything. If there is a rule he will break it, if there is a person he will break them too. He will break you.

Even though he is chaotic enough to punch a baby in the face, he always tries to recruit others. Showing them how to spread chaos. He can be the most polite person you ever saw if he knows it will tick you off.

6. Useful knowledge
He knows weapons. Guns of all sort, heavy weapons, melee weapons, throwing weapons etc. Hell, he will mcgyver the **** out of a bubblegum and paperclip and kill someone with it. He also knows what he god shows him.

Did you catch the bit about the gorilla and burnt victim?
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #6
LemmingLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post

1. Occupation or history
Agent Chaos was born on a monday, as THE Avatar of chaos itself he tends to break the norm.
How long has Agent Chaos been doing his thing? Are there other gods with avatars as well?

We now know there is dark magic, demons, spirits and avatars in our world.

What do you say concerning the question:

Are powers open, completely secret, or four color comic-like?
Old 08-20-2016, 09:07 PM   #7
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
How long has Agent Chaos been doing his thing? Are there other gods with avatars as well?
He has been doing his thing for quite a while. Lets go with that other "gods" due exist and have avatars as well. (which brings me to one of my new favorite character concept which I can talk about later)

Quote:
We now know there is dark magic, demons, spirits and avatars in our world.

What do you say concerning the question:

Are powers open, completely secret, or four color comic-like?
With a character like mine it would have to be open or 4colored.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:38 PM   #8
LemmingLord

Ok, what's the differrence between open and four color then?
Old 08-20-2016, 10:59 PM   #9
zoncxs

Quote:
Ok, what's the differrence between open and four color then?
no idea, I thought you knew. O.O (seriously...)
Old 08-21-2016, 05:39 AM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

4 color puts a lot more stock in conventions like reluctant killing and secret identities, whereas open powers has a lot more known identities, government involvement, and less genre convention.

Death of smallpox pretty much needs one of the two to be interesting, as he's trying to deliver the soul of a hyper-powerful super.

Smallpox is basically done, except for the identity of his target(s).

Which is essentially building another super.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote