Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default Spells for a blind mage?

This is a question I got thinking about because of [url=http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=114127]this character,[/i] but it's really a quite general one: what spells work well for a blind mage? Here's what I can come up with:
  • Illusion spells are mostly ruled out if you can't see, as are a few others (Know True Shape, Turn Spirit)
  • Offensive spells are generally ruled out, unless you can trick someone into letting them touch you
  • Regular spells are generally OK if it's not going to be hard to touch the subject
  • Information spells are generally OK if you don't need to see the subject
Any other guidelines I should know about? Spells that might not seem like they require touch, but do?
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Otaku

Default Re: Spells for a blind mage?

I am curious if there are any legitimate "work around" options for a blind mage - spells that while being used might provide at least some form of sight. If there are, should they be treated as a mitigator? How does exact skill level apply? As per usual, I am working from 3e books myself, so perhaps this is more clear in 4e. Sound Vision, for example, seems to have prerequisites that would allow a blind mage to learn it, but the description makes it sound like it might still be using the eyes.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Animal would be a highly effective college for a blind caster. Summon Animal. Beast Speech. Rider Within. Illusions work if you get to the point where you can give them Independence as do Creations. Wizard Eye is another spell that would compensate for blindness. Yes, you can know Keen Vision without being able to see. And yes, Sound Vision gives you sonar.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
gilbertocarlos

Wizard's eye should be the way to go.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Animal would be a highly effective college for a blind caster. Summon Animal. Beast Speech. Rider Within. .
There's a witch in one of the Discworld books who uses this method; she's been blind for decades, but she has a pet raven who sits on her shoulder, and she uses its eyes to see through.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Alex1976

You could always create a power to allow them "sight" in a manner of speaking. I'd even go a step further and put the Magic -10% modifier on it.

The first thought that popped in mind is Toph, from the Avatar the Last Airbender. No matter what direction you go for a "sight" advantage, Blindness needs a mitigator on it I would think.
Alex (MIB #9454)

Obsidian Portal Profile GURPS Scanners, Shadowrun, Overworld, & Dark Fantasy
Alex1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1976 View Post
You could always create a power to allow them "sight" in a manner of speaking. I'd even go a step further and put the Magic -10% modifier on it.

The first thought that popped in mind is Toph, from the Avatar the Last Airbender. No matter what direction you go for a "sight" advantage, Blindness needs a mitigator on it I would think.
Mitigator is only necessary if the counter measure does not itself costs character points.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Don't forget that any Regular spell allows you to name a vague target you can neither see nor touch, and then cast at an extra -5. See Regular Spells (Magic, p. 11). A blind wizard is at -5 a lot of the time, but can work most magic – including combat magic – if he's good enough.

As for using magic in place of vision, take a look at Sound Vision (Magic, p. 171), as others have recommended; it does not rely on the eyes. And Restore Sight (Magic, p. 92) is obviously a possibility.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

FWIW, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't let a player start with Blindness and Instant Restoration expecting to say "I cast Instant Restoration on myself" as their first in character action (and have it work).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
Alex1976

Hahaha! That would be pretty hilarious! I'd allow it but I'd make them pay off the debt before they could spend points elsewhere the moment they cast it.
Alex (MIB #9454)

Obsidian Portal Profile GURPS Scanners, Shadowrun, Overworld, & Dark Fantasy
Alex1976 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blindness, magic