Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 10-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Nobu

Default Item rule clarifications

To be clear on items:

1) You can put as many item cards into play as you want, though only some will actually be used, and the rest are carried?

2) You can put 'use once only' items into play as well, so they are carried, and can be 'used' at any time?

3) Of all your items in play, whether 'used' or 'carried', only 1 can be 'big'?

4) You can only trade items that are in play on the table?
Nobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: Item rule clarifications

Correct on all counts.

And on question #4, it is worth noting that not only can you only trade items that are in play on the table, but they must stay in play on the table after the trade, which means that you can't trade for an item that you cannot have in play (if you've already got a Big item in play, you can't trade for another, if you are cursed so that you can't carry 2-handed items, you can't trade for one, etc.).

And I know you didn't ask this, so I might get in trouble for straying from the specific questions asked, but I thought I'd mention it because it was something that I know I kept forgetting or confusing with the "must be in play" limitation on trading items. You MAY sell items for levels from your hand without putting them in play first. So you CAN sell items that are not legal for you to play.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Nobu

Thanks, and thanks for the point on selling. We're new at the game, and the items stuff is what we most often are trying to figure out. Any clarifications on item-related stuff is more than welcome!
Nobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
1) You can put as many item cards into play as you want, though only some will actually be used, and the rest are carried?
This one wasn't quite correct. All the Items you have in play are carried. You do choose to use some of them and not use others, but they are all carried.

One-shots can be carried, but are not considered used until you actually play them for their power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
if you've already got a Big item in play, you can't trade for another
And just for full clarity due to the ambiguity in your statement here, you can trade your Big Item for somebody else's Big Item if you are both willing.