Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-26-2017, 06:34 PM   #1
b-dog

Default Divine Bard?

I was thinking about a Sufi minstrel for my Dungeon Fantasy Silk Road setting and I was wondering if replacing the magical power with Divine power is too much for the Dungeon Fantasy setting. Ashique Hamri was born outside of Kabul and learned to play musical instruments at the local mosque and then decided to use his talents in service to the Divine. He is able to use his music to turn undead and also soothe the sick and injured. His music can also inspire evil people to become righteous so long as he plays his oud. Would he be better as just a cleric who uses music to cast his magic or should he be a bard? Thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:21 PM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Divine Bard?

To be honest, it would be kind of cool to posit variant Bardic Talent that works like Power Investiture instead of Magery and lets somebody use the clerical spell list instead of the bardic one. That's going pretty far off the reservation, but I doubt it would break the game.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
b-dog

An Infernal Bard could be interesting too. Maybe all the warnings about Rock and Roll by the church is true...
Old 11-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
Stone Dog

I'm not normally a big fan of b-dog's posts, but I have to admit that this is a fun idea. From a divine bard playing the music of the heavenly spheres to an infernal rocker. This is good stuff.

Especially since there is an In Nomine scenario where angels and demons are struggling to to command the Word of Rock and Roll.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #5
Anthony

You could probably just swap Magery 0 + Bardic Talent for Clerical Investment + Power Investiture, but you'd wind up with a weird spell list, and just letting divine bards ignore prerequisites for the spells in their normal list would amount to them being Just Plain Better. I guess you could let them learn spells from their normal list without prerequisites, but require a virtuous life (oddly, clerical spellcasting doesn't seem to require you to live a virtuous life).

Last edited by Anthony; 11-27-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
You could probably just swap Magery 0 + Bardic Talent for Clerical Investment + Power Investiture, but you'd wind up with a weird spell list, and just letting divine bards ignore prerequisites for the spells in their normal list would amount to them being Just Plain Better. I guess you could let them learn spells from their normal list without prerequisites, but require a virtuous life (oddly, clerical spellcasting doesn't seem to require you to live a virtuous life).
Bards don't have Magery 0.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The way I'd do it is simply to treat "divine bards" as regular bards with Bardic Talent (Sacred) in lieu of regular Bardic Talent, the clerical spell list in lieu of the four standard wizardly colleges, Bardic Talent levels standing in for Power Investiture levels, and the need for sanctity replacing the need for mana. It's true that a bard must sing while a cleric needn't do so, but then a cleric has to pay 5 points for Clerical Investment while a bard doesn't.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #8
b-dog

I was thinking that the Divine Bard may be a good way to represent the Buddhist monk. He could chant and have others meditate to heal them or to remove sickness or curses. Maybe his mere meditation creates an aura that turns arrows into flowers or creates a calmness that causes monsters to become peaceful or flee if they are truly evil.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:11 PM   #9
Imbicatus

Or create a Druidic variant for the Pied Piper of Hamlin...
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote