Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Orienda

Default Shipboard systems/ Using Vehicle Abilities

Is there any standardized way to handle abilities that work only inside of the vehicle (thus only on it's payload) that has the abiliies? For example, if you wanted to say that a vehicle had an ability to blast onboard intruders, or use it's artificial gravity to move things around, what discount would you give to the base ability?

Likewise, if you wanted to confer an ability on those in the payload (perhaps doesn't breath to represent self contained air supplies) how would you do that?

Also, when piloting a vehicle, which abilities are fair game to use? Is it fair to let a starship pilot use the computer's intuitive mathematician? Enhanced Temporal Sense? (Some make more sense than others, and common sense can certainly divide them up, but if there's a definitive rule to follow, that would make things easier.)
Orienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Shipboard systems/ Using Vehicle Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orienda View Post
Is there any standardized way to handle abilities that work only inside of the vehicle (thus only on it's payload) that has the abiliies? For example, if you wanted to say that a vehicle had an ability to blast onboard intruders, or use it's artificial gravity to move things around, what discount would you give to the base ability?
I forget the discount, but I think this is covered in Biotech under bioships. Maybe 1/5 price?
Quote:
Likewise, if you wanted to confer an ability on those in the payload (perhaps doesn't breath to represent self contained air supplies) how would you do that?
That's a question that's been asked before and didn't seem to get a very satisfactory answer.
Quote:
Also, when piloting a vehicle, which abilities are fair game to use? Is it fair to let a starship pilot use the computer's intuitive mathematician? Enhanced Temporal Sense? (Some make more sense than others, and common sense can certainly divide them up, but if there's a definitive rule to follow, that would make things easier.)
Unless you had to stat the ship as a character, this isn't a sensible question...a piece of equipment can be written up as providing whatever effects are appropriate, whether or not they're conveniently described as advantages. For my part, I probably wouldn't allow using a spaceship to grant either of those advantages, unless the ship somehow tampered with your mental functioning. Having a calculator is not the same as having Intuitive Mathematician.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
Orienda

I'm currently in a campaign where each player owns their own prototype ship, and we're working on statting them out. The more rules specific question is what abilities are granted by the compartmentalized mind (controls) feature. A good rule of thumb seems to be all physical traits, but it doesn't state this anywhere I can see, and I'm sure there are a few exceptions that don't make sense. (It would also be nice to have a way to model giving mental traits, if the ship did have say a neural connection to give whoever was piloting it certain of its abilities).

Last edited by Orienda; 06-18-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Orienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
I'm currently in a campaign where each player owns their own prototype ship, and we're working on statting them out. The more rules specific question is what abilities are granted by the compartmentalized mind (controls) feature. I good rule of thumb seems to be all physical traits, but it doesn't state this anywhere I can see, and I'm sure there are a few exceptions that don't make sense. (It would also be nice to have a way to model giving mental traits, if the ship did have say a neural connection to give whoever was piloting it certain of its abilities).
In this case I would probably by most of the abilities with an accessability limitation only in the ship.
If different people could use them then affects others enhancement for any ability that affected the charecter other then indirectly.
And Sealed covers the payload unless its exposed. Same with DR and I would say most defensivie abilities.
On the other hand f the ship can do them but needs someone at the controls then thats the control modifier. possibly adjusted.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote