Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #1
OldSam

Default To be readied or not to be, that is the question...

I have a question regarding the All-Out-Attack Dual and unready/ready weapons:

Adventurers p.30 says you can do that with "...two ready weapons... or one weapon that doesn't have to be readied after use."

Now, let's say I have a Dueling Glaive (Polearm with Min. ST 9) and my character's ST is 14, which would be 50% more strength than needed, thus eliminating the need to ready the weapon after an attack.

That leads to the final question:
Could I use an AoA Dual with the dueling glaive in that situation (having ST14)?

I see different possible interpretations:
- The basic weapon design (Polearm, Dueling Glaive) is unbalanced, so it has to be readied after use and because of that weapon's generic restriction to AoA Dual, it does not matter if the character could avoid basically needed ready maneuvers having higher ST, so not allowed.

- The wording says "doesn't have to be readied after use" and in the specific case after the use (attack) my ST 14 character does not have to ready the glaive, so AoA Dual should be allowed.

What do you think, what would be your interpretation/solution?

Or even better, what would be the RAW ruling in that case? (If anybody knows ;))

Last edited by OldSam; 09-18-2018 at 04:54 PM.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: To be readied or not to be, that is the question...

I would allow it.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
Tom H.

I see your dilemma.

My preference is to err on the side of less hyper-activity within the one-second turn.

But in agreeing with Anthony, I think the rules could and should be interpreted to allow the double attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
- The basic weapon design (Polearm, Dueling Glaive) is unbalanced, so it has to be readied after use . . .
Just to be precise, the weapon quality of "unbalanced" only affects attacking and parrying in the same turn. It is solely the weapon ST rules that affect readiness. I know this only because my own brain has trouble remembering to distinguish this. However, this bit of clarity does not impact the true nature of your issue.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:49 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
I have a question regarding the All-Out-Attack Dual and unready/ready weapons:
You mean All-Out Attack Double.

Quote:
Adventurers p.30 says...
Exploits pg 30.

Quote:
Could I use an AoA Dual with the dueling glaive in that situation (having ST14)?
Yes. The Dueling Glaive normally doesn't have to be Readied after use unless you use it one-handed... then you need an 18 ST to AOA(Double) with it.

For a better example let's look at the Halberd used to swing for sw+5 cutting or sw+4 impaling damage. Your ST 14 Character cannot AOA(Double) with it as it does become Unready after swinging (note the 'double dagger' or ‡ symbol after the ST rating). However, if they stab with it for thr+3 impaling they could AOA(Double) with it as long as they were using it two-handed ('single dagger' or † symbol after the ST).

Quote:
Or even better, what would be the RAW ruling in that case?
Since whether a weapon is Ready or Unready after use generally hinges on 2 factors, 1 - is it a † or ‡ ST weapon and 2 - how much ST the Character has, this is as RAW as it gets.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:25 AM   #5
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Yes. The Dueling Glaive normally doesn't have to be Readied after use unless you use it one-handed... then you need an 18 ST to AOA(Double) with it.
Oh yes, great point. I started to lose track too. There's no readiness issue with the dueling glaive when used with both hands.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
I see your dilemma.
Just to be precise, the weapon quality of "unbalanced" only affects attacking and parrying in the same turn.
You mean that even if it gets unbalanced after an attack, I can still make a new attack in my next turn without readying, right? But I could not parry anymore, falling back to dodge...
Old 09-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #7
OldSam

Quote:
You mean All-Out Attack Double.
Exploits pg 30.
Yes, sorry, but it was close ;)

Quote:
For a better example let's look at the Halberd used to swing for sw+5 cutting or sw+4 impaling damage. Your ST 14 Character cannot AOA(Double) with it as it does become Unready after swinging (note the 'double dagger' or ‡ symbol after the ST rating). However, if they stab with it for thr+3 impaling they could AOA(Double) with it as long as they were using it two-handed ('single dagger' or † symbol after the ST).
Many thanks for pointing out the issue with swinging attacks!
I was not aware of that..
Ok, to summarize ( if I got you right?), I <can> make a stabbing attack (imp) without the polearm becoming unready... (Which makes sense as swinging is much more affecting the weapon's balance.)
So, in that scenario, the character could use AoA(Double) with a halberd, too. That's very good to know! :)
Old 09-19-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
You mean that even if it gets unbalanced after an attack, I can still make a new attack in my next turn without readying, right? But I could not parry anymore, falling back to dodge...
You can even make an AOA(Double) with an Unbalanced weapon. You just can't parry with it if you made an any attacks that turn.

And you can't attack with it if you Parried! So if you Ready to 'counter-attack' after an attack, you can't parry with a Halberd and then perform the Readied attack!

Quote:
Many thanks for pointing out the issue with swinging attacks!
Right, weapons aren't just 'Unready', that is always a function of attack type and Character's ST. Weapons are however just 'Unbalanced'.*

* Keeping the 'Dwarven' made quality in mind. ;)
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:28 PM   #9
InfinitePudding

You should invest in a Dwarven Dueling glaive for sure. It wouldn't even be that much more costly than a regular one. That is assuming you got it as starting gear. Then you wouldn't even need to worry about not being able to parry with it after attacking either. Bonus is your character IS a Dwarf because then you'ed get a nice discount on the cost of the weapon too :D
InfinitePudding is offline   Reply With Quote