Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-13-2014, 03:05 AM   #1
PTTG

Default Need help building T-2000 morphing super

I've got a Player that wants a character with powers essentially similar to the Terminator 2000. He is, likewise, made of mercury, although he is distinct in that he is magically powered.

His powers include making simple weapons from his own material and using them effectively. If he pierces armor, he will "morningstar" under the armor layer to do extra damage.

He can't change his coloring, so he'll remain silvery, but he can change his number of limbs, sense organs, and outright shape easily; ordinarially, he likes a jaguar-like form. He can glide by turning into a kind of metallic parachute, but he also functions well underwater or underground with tunneling. As I said, anything an amorphous liquid metal robot like the T-2000 could do, he could probably do.

He has a few special weaknesses- anything outside of "quite hot" or "very cold" for a human (outside the liquid phase of mercury)- will cause him to move slowly, and heat attacks cause extreme damage.

We'd like to keep the character around 300 points total. He'll also have some serious mental problems (IQ 5 with non-iconographic, possibly reprogrammable). What's better for this, Modular Abilities or what?
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:43 AM   #2
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: Need help building T-2000 morphing super

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
I've got a Player that wants a character with powers essentially similar to the Terminator 2000. He is, likewise, made of mercury, although he is distinct in that he is magically powered.

His powers include making simple weapons from his own material and using them effectively. If he pierces armor, he will "morningstar" under the armor layer to do extra damage.

He can't change his coloring, so he'll remain silvery, but he can change his number of limbs, sense organs, and outright shape easily; ordinarially, he likes a jaguar-like form. He can glide by turning into a kind of metallic parachute, but he also functions well underwater or underground with tunneling. As I said, anything an amorphous liquid metal robot like the T-2000 could do, he could probably do.

He has a few special weaknesses- anything outside of "quite hot" or "very cold" for a human (outside the liquid phase of mercury)- will cause him to move slowly, and heat attacks cause extreme damage.

We'd like to keep the character around 300 points total.
Assuming you pick up an extra 100 from IQ 5 that gives you around 400 points to play with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra-tech page 111
Nanomorph (TL12) 518 points

Attribute Modifiers: ST+5 [50]; DX+2 [40]; HT+4 [40].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: HP+5 [10]; Basic Speed+0.50 [10]; Basic Move+3 [15].
Advantages: Absolute Direction [5]; Appearance (Handsome) [12]; Doesn’t Breathe [20]; Enhanced Move 1/2 (Ground) [10]; Hyperspectral Vision [25]; Injury Tolerance (Homogenous) [40]; Long Talons [11]; Machine (Not Unliving) [5]; Protected Senses (Hearing, Vision) [10]; Radio (Burst, +30%; Secure, +20%) [15]; Recovery [10]; Regeneration (Very Fast) [100]; Regrowth [40]; Sealed [15]; Sensitive Touch [10]; Slippery 2 [4]; Striking ST +5 [25]; Super Jump 1 [10]; Universal Digestion [5].
Perks: Accessory (Fast personal computer) [1].
Disadvantages: Electrical [-20].

TL12 Model (Living Metal) (+255 points): Living metal nanomorphs can transform into just about anything, and are stronger and tougher than bioplastic versions. Add ST+5 [50], DR 15 [75], and Morph (Unlimited, +50%; Mass Conservation, -20%) [130]. $150,000, 150 lbs. LC3.
Total: 773 points. You can cut a lot of that out, but getting it within your point budget will still be tricky.

Quote:
He'll also have some serious mental problems (IQ 5 with non-iconographic, possibly reprogrammable). What's better for this, Modular Abilities or what?
IQ 5??? That's less intelligent than a Chimpanzee or Gorilla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic page 458
IQ 3 – Average horse or hawk. It can learn commands appropriate to its work – hunting commands for a hawk, riding or pulling commands for a riding or draft animal, etc. – and general tolerance for all humans or for specific masters (trainer’s choice). It knows its name and comes when called (if it feels like it).
IQ 4 – Average dog. As above, plus “fetch,” “attack,” “find,” “sit,” etc., as appropriate for the species. It tries to warn its owner of dangers it perceives, and fights – and even dies – for its master.
IQ 5 – Average monkey. As above, but with more complexity. The GM may allow anything he ever saw a trained animal do in the movies . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic page 15
Sapience is defined as the ability to use tools and language. In GURPS, this requires at least IQ 6. Those with IQ 5 or less cannot learn technological skills (see p. 168) or possess Languages (see p. 23) – not even the initial Language that most characters get for free. They can still communicate primitive concepts (such as hunger or danger) through gesture or vocalization, and may be trained to respond to a few commands (see Pets and Trained Animals, p. 458).
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
PTTG

Thanks very much- I knew there was probably an existing resource for this, but I was looking into supers.

As for his IQ, yeah, the PC described him as a high-functioning computer. I might make him make (easy) IQ rolls to determine friend from foe given how stupid he is.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
Celjabba

Quote:

We'd like to keep the character around 300 points total. He'll also have some serious mental problems (IQ 5 with non-iconographic, possibly reprogrammable). What's better for this, Modular Abilities or what?
I wonder if cosmetic morph as a Wildcard power (supers p41) would be a valid build ?

Morph (Cosmetic, -50%; magic; -10%; cannot change color, -5%) ! [140]
He can manifest any power costing [35] or less that can be justified by changing shape.
(enhanced ground move(as a jaguar), gliding flight, tunneling, melee-based innate attacks (sword arms),...)

Add
IT:Homogenous,no blood, possibly no eyes
Doesnt breathe
resistant(immunity, metabolic hazards)
As much DR and regeneration as you can afford,
And you should be good to go and stay (barely) in budget.

But I would not advice IQ5.
It is not sapient, and it would be extraordinarily limiting to a player.

Hope this help,

Celjabba
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
But I would not advice IQ5.
It is not sapient, and it would be extraordinarily limiting to a player.

Hope this help,

Celjabba
He's going for a reprogrammable machine, which is pretty much saying IQ5 is the extent of what he can do outside of core programming. It's a sufficiently low score to leave him confused by new things, until he can get a software update.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
He's going for a reprogrammable machine, which is pretty much saying IQ5 is the extent of what he can do outside of core programming. It's a sufficiently low score to leave him confused by new things, until he can get a software update.
And incapable of operating technology, including human languages.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
That's probably better represented by and IQ in the 6-8 range (at IQ 5 he is pretty much totally unable to use language) with a whole slew of mental traits like Callous, Clueless Confused, Incurious, Hidebound, No Sense Of Humor, Oblivious, maybe also Gullible, Truthfulness, and/or Slave Mentality.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
And incapable of operating technology, including human languages.
Lassie, Flipper, and Cheetah from Tarzan have much higher IQs than 5.
The great apes and some birds have IQ around 5.5, in my opinion.

Tags
character building, morphing, stupid expensive powers, supers