Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 10-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #81
Ulthar88

Default Re: [OOC] A Stranger Land

Lamech -- I been cranking Martel into GCA and not coming up with the same totals -- I get 201 overall... not a biggy and I haven't double-checked yet -- I might have given you an extra skill or something :)

But even if true it won't matter much... did you know that Stealth can optionally default to IQ-5? wow... pays to be smart, I guess. And speaking of smarts, it looks to me like you've under-calculated some of your IQ skills. Am I missing something?
Ulthar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #82
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulthar88 View Post
Lamech -- I been cranking Martel into GCA and not coming up with the same totals -- I get 201 overall... not a biggy and I haven't double-checked yet -- I might have given you an extra skill or something :)

But even if true it won't matter much... did you know that Stealth can optionally default to IQ-5? wow... pays to be smart, I guess. And speaking of smarts, it looks to me like you've under-calculated some of your IQ skills. Am I missing something?
You probably have it right, I go through multiple revisions. Raising IQ repeatedly shuffling things between defaults. I'll rerun through it.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #83
barna10

Quote:
See this thread for some various thoughts on the subject. Don't get worried that those rules are in force for this particular game... I would have stated so at the beginning if I were intending that.
So, checked out the thread and I have a few points to make. First, CPs are rewards to the player, not the character. Yes mechanically it makes sense for the character to only get advancement through training, but then the "game" turns into more of a simulation than a game.

A much better way to handle "player character bloat" is to

1) require training unless in-game circumstances can acccount for the improvement (i.e. gets to improve fireball because he cast it twenty times, but not teleport which he never casted)

2) provide plenty of ways for players to waste points besides character development (i.e. successes, 1 time uses of advantages/skills, turn them into cash in play, establish contacts, avoid injury, etc.) Having plenty of good uses for those points will entice players to waste them in play instead of storing them for bloat.

Not rewarding character points or being stingy about rewards changes this into an exercise in roleplaying instead of a game.
barna10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #84
Lamech

Quote:

Found the glitches.
It seems when I increased IQ to 19 I only changed the value of some of the skill. That should be fixed

The second glitch was the "other skills" category was 1 point too low. So for that I got rid of points in stealth and use the default instead. Then I moved the three extra points into fatigue. (Bringing it back to ten.)
Hiriko
Andrew

Last edited by Lamech; 10-10-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #85
zoncxs

Quote:

zoncxs: what's the tale behind Frightens Animals? (just want to know if it's supernatural, psychic, or whichever, so I know how & why it works). Also, you have a few 'weapon systems' available; I assume based on your skills that the 2H sword is your default, and the shield is attached to your pack for a backup when using the spear or knife. Is that right?
I am switching out that disadvantage for something else (I have riding but can't ride cause they are scared? lol), I am switching it for blood lust.

and yes, his main is his thrusting Great sword and he has multiple back ups. The Throwing axe, Knife, Spear, and when he can a sword, all to be used with said shield. and yeah the shield is on his pack. He likes to be prepared.

Skull crusher, you must tell me how you get these artworks! do you do them? also I was thinking of having both our guys related or from the same place. what do you think?
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #86
Ulthar88

Quote:
Originally Posted by barna10 View Post
Not rewarding character points or being stingy about rewards changes this into an exercise in roleplaying instead of a game.
I see your points, 'though a lot of these definitions are subjective. In any case, this discussion belongs in that other thread, since it doesn't apply to this particular game.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #87
Ulthar88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Found the glitches.
Cool -- thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
I am switching out that disadvantage for something else (I have riding but can't ride cause they are scared? lol), I am switching it for blood lust.

and yes, his main is his thrusting Great sword and he has multiple back ups. The Throwing axe, Knife, Spear, and when he can a sword, all to be used with said shield. and yeah the shield is on his pack. He likes to be prepared.
Got it -- sounds good.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #88
Skullcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Skull crusher, you must tell me how you get these artworks! do you do them? also I was thinking of having both our guys related or from the same place. what do you think?

I made them myself with heromachine 3 http://www.heromachine.com/heromachine-3-lab/ you will need to read the tutorials and peruse the site to learn how to use it. You can also ask me.

Well My guy is from the fridged north but they can be adventuring partners.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer

Last edited by Skullcrusher; 10-10-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #89
Skullcrusher

Quote:
Skullcrusher: Your Ad's may be messed up -- I'm getting 205 total when I enter Rorik into GCA; what are you getting? Also, I'm reading Temperature Tolerance to state that you should specify where your extra 24 degrees of comfort are distributed.

I made him in GCA and he comes out to 200 points. Send me your GCA file so I can compare them.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #90
barna10

so i am having trouble with something here. you only want 4 disadvatages, but over 150 points of disadvatanges is ok (like with lamech's character)?

Last edited by barna10; 10-10-2011 at 08:02 PM.
barna10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a stranger land