Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #11
Skarg

Default Re: Where are the most detailed & realistic travel rules to be found?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
The notable gap in your list is actually High Tech, which has a replacement, usually seen as superior, to the Basic Set Hiking rules.

It's possible one of the sources you have replicates this, but I don't think so.
Ah thanks! I didn't realize there were such rules in High Tech. I think the last time I read through the whole of that book was using the first printing.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #12
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Ah thanks! I didn't realize there were such rules in High Tech. I think the last time I read through the whole of that book was using the first printing.
HT page 55. It's only 2 paragraphs. I think what you want is already in DF 16. It basically uses HT with more detail on determining effective move, terrain effects, etc.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #13
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
HT page 55. It's only 2 paragraphs. I think what you want is already in DF 16. It basically uses HT with more detail on determining effective move, terrain effects, etc.
DF 16 doesn't appear to have fatigue-per-hour covered in any way. It might have a matching basis for its calculation of daily progress (can't check, can't currently find my HT), but it doesn't provide all the functionality that HT does.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #14
AlexanderHowl

One of the missing parts of GURPS is the effect that Area Knowledge should have on travel times. Most of the time, the popular routes are the easiest trade routes rather than the fastest travel routes. I would suggest that a successful Area Knowledge roll should be able to decrease travel times by 10% when traveling on roads (you know when and where there is traffic, which side roads circumvent construction, etc) and by 20% when traveling cross county (you know the best game trails, where to ford streams, etc). When applied to daily travel distances, I would suggest just increasing the distance traveled by 10% on roads or 20% when going cross country with a successful Area Knowledge roll.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #15
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
DF 16 doesn't appear to have fatigue-per-hour covered in any way.
Unless HT has more hiking info than is provided in the sidebar "Humping, Tramping, and Yomping", neither does HT.

Quote:
It might have a matching basis for its calculation of daily progress (can't check, can't currently find my HT), but it doesn't provide all the functionality that HT does.
All HT adds is a conversion to mph for overland travel (which DF16 does with far more detail). For everything else (adjusting for terrain, FP costs per hour, extra effort, and foraging) it refers to the BS. And again, for terrain, DF has more detail.

So exactly what functionality is HT adding here?

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:13 AM   #16
Skarg

And are we all talking about the same version of High Tech here? i.e. Are you guys talking about the 4e HT? I am on the verge of ordering one, but if it turns out not to have anything more than Dungeon Fantasy has, well, I'd prefer to know in advance.

As for Area Knowledge affecting travel times, I think that's a good general idea but it also seems like something to suggest the GM make a ruling on. A predictable percentage doesn't make much sense to me, as it would vary by circumstance. It also seems like a different sort of thing from the rate of travel on a known route. If there's an abstract modern city situation or road network with car traffic, or a city with very crowded pedestrian traffic, or known shortcut paths in abstract countryside, sure. In some other situations, there might only be one road, or no helpful shortcut. And if the GM has a specific map and the route taken is known, then it wouldn't apply.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:00 AM   #17
Gollum

In my humble opinion, if you buy High-Tech (for the 4th edition, yes), you will be very disappointed. Not because it is a bad book. To the contrary, it is a very good one - the one I use the most. But I use it because I play Call of Cthulhu adventures, and there are a lot of very good hints about roaring 20ies weapons and gear. Now, for what you are looking for, there are only two paragraphs, as it has been said above. Plus some detailed travelling tools, of course.

Sure, those two paragraphs give a much more realistic rate than the one given in the Basic Set. And now that I know it, I use only that one. First, because it is a much more realistic rate (I don't want to revive the huge old threads about hiking rates here - you can easily find them if you want). And second, because it is a rate in miles per hour rather than one in miles per day. So, it allows the players to exactly choose how much hours they want to travel per day, how long they do rest and when, etc. Used with the Basic Set Long Task rules, it gives a much more realistic result than the Basic Set rate. Furthermore, for my own adventures, a rate in miles per hour is much more useful: how long does it take to go to the station on foot is a more frequent question that how many miles can we cover per day.

So, is buying High-Tech a good idea for you?

If you buy it only for that rate, no in my humble opinion. One book for two paragraphs is a bit expansive. But, if you also want more detailed modern weapons and gear, yes, you can buy it. It is really an amazing book, with a lot of very good things.

My hint: look at the excerpt! It will help you to make your decision. And it may also give you the new rate...

Last edited by Gollum; 11-30-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:46 AM   #18
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
And are we all talking about the same version of High Tech here? i.e. Are you guys talking about the 4e HT? I am on the verge of ordering one, but if it turns out not to have anything more than Dungeon Fantasy has, well, I'd prefer to know in advance.
Yes, that's the correct book.

I can't currently find mine, so I can't really provide a check Corwyn's assertion. It doesn't match my recollection, but that's a weak source.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:52 AM   #19
mlangsdorf

The expanded hiking rules in High Tech are mostly a note that Campaigns uses a simplified model and assumes 16 hour daily forced marches.

I worked some significantly more detailed rules for my hexcrawl campaign. They're basically extrapolations of the existing rules, plus some more specifics on visibility and horizon. The rules for foraging are outdated and would need to be replaced by the new systems from AtE: New World or DF16: Wilderness Adventures.

Anyway, you may want to take a look at them:
http://westmarchsaga.wikia.com/wiki/...on_House_Rules
Old 11-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #20
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
The expanded hiking rules in High Tech are mostly a note that Campaigns uses a simplified model and assumes 16 hour daily forced marches.
Not really.

It is presented like that, indeed, but it is actually a new rate. To cover with the High-Tech rate what you can cover with the Basic Set rate, you need 20 hours, not just 16... And the Basic Set rate also supposes that you can make one foraging roll while traveling - while with the High-Tech rate, it is clear that you don't have any time to do it. You don't even have any time to rest and to have a full night of sleep...

But ... Oh, my! I'm beginning to revive the too long debates that we had in the past ... Noooo! Please ... Forget what I said. And forgive me ...

Well, the only thing that is important for Skarg is that it really is a new rate, a very useful one if he wants to let his players choose for themselves exactly when they hike, when they rest, how long per day they do it, and so on.

And the good question is: is the rest of the book also interesting for you, Skarg?. Otherwise, I hardly see how the cost of the book would make sense. I'm sure you will find a lot of very interesting things in High-Tech. As I said above, it is the book that I uses the most (after Basic Set, of course). Now, if you only run Medieval campaigns that would really be disappointed ...
Hey, guys! Isn't that rate written somewhere else, in a book which would be more interesting for Skarg? Something like a Low-Tech or DF supplement?
And, by the way, where are the rules about Long Term Fatigue. I tried to remember but didn't succeed ... Yes, Skarg, long term fatigue rules could be very interesting for you. They answer to the main problem of the huge debate about Basic Set hiking rate: being able to cover such a distance (62.5 miles) for a totally untrained character may be possible, once, but surely not several days in a raw without the least health problem.

Last edited by Gollum; 11-30-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book recommendations, gurps, house rules, travelling