Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
lvalero

Default [DF] Not obvious spell - magery enhancement

Hi all!

This is my first message in this forum. My name is Luis and I am from Spain. Please forgive my english, as it is not my mother language :)

I have begun a DF campaign and I have created my own versions of the "normal classes" as warrior, wizard, rogue, paladin, etc... Now I am creating some derivative classes as "Inquisitor", "Frontier/Peasant Hero", "Warlord"...

Now I am trying to create a cool "social" class named "the demagogue" who can modify the behaviour of the masses and who have a knack on dealing with people.... nearly magical!

It is like a bard because he "plays" but he doesn't play an instrument, he plays as an actor in stage using oratory and "actor tricks" (false tears, etc...)

I would like to give him some "tricks of the trade" like "ritual magic" spells based on "High Oratory (VH)" or similar VH skill but I don't want the spells to look like spells.

So, for example if the demagogue casts "Presence" and his final skill is 14 he will need to say some words and a gesture BUT only a highly trained wizard or other demagogue could recognize it as magic because the "words" and "gesture" seems like normal words and gestures, perhaps only with a little strange "accent" or "voice". Normal people couldn't notice that the demagogue is casting a spell!

How would you price "Not obvious spell" enhancement?

By the way, these are the enhancements and limitations that I will probably give him

+10% Switchable: You need a ready maneouver to activate your magic but, remember, you can ready at the same time you speak because speaking is "free action" !
+20/+40% Subtle Aura: Even when you "switch" your magic it is very difficult or impossible to see your aura as "mage flagged"
-xx?% Preparation required: You need some time speaking before being able to cast or -xx?% Activation required: You need to activate your magery using "Fast-talk" (when dealing with one person) or "Oratory" (when dealing with a group)
-20% Always verbal component: All your spells need verbal component, at least some words, even if your skill is high.
-10% Barrier of language. If your victim cann't understand or hear you he is immune!
-20%: Two collegues only (Path of communication, Path of mind control)
+xx?%: Not obvious magic. The verbal and somatic components of your spells are not obvious.

How would you price each level of magery? Ideas of advantages/disadvantages for this class and criticism will be highly welcomed!

Luis
Old 01-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [DF] Not obvious spell - magery enhancement

Another way to do this would be to use the Enthrallment skills, on pages 191-2 of the Basic Set.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
Refplace

I would just price 20% No Signature on Magery
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
the_matrix_walker

Welcome to the Forum!

You are sure to find helpful GURPS enthusiasts here when you have this sort of question.

I agree that "No Signature, +20%" is the enhancement you are looking for.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:15 PM   #5
Dwarf99

I'd say Low myself if other mages and demogogues can detect him.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

You want the Easy Casting enhancement from GURPS Thaumatology (p. 28). It's +40% a level and basically lets you treat your spell as five levels higher for the purpose of rituals only (p. B236). You'd probably need at least a level - mostly likely two. Skill 20 requires no gestures and skill 15 needs only a small gesture (maybe something like the Clinton "thumb") and a few words (easily masked as tying into the speech or the like.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
You want the Easy Casting enhancement from GURPS Thaumatology (p. 28). It's +40% a level and basically lets you treat your spell as five levels higher for the purpose of rituals only (p. B236). You'd probably need at least a level - mostly likely two. Skill 20 requires no gestures and skill 15 needs only a small gesture (maybe something like the Clinton "thumb") and a few words (easily masked as tying into the speech or the like.
It's an option for sure, but I think it's overkill, as gesturing subtly while you speak (or having high enough skill to leave out the gestures) isn't far fetched.

In fact if the point is Oratory, I would include the (Song, -40%) Limitation, but call it "Clear Vocalization" or something instead.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
It's an option for sure, but I think it's overkill, as gesturing subtly while you speak (or having high enough skill to leave out the gestures) isn't far fetched.

In fact if the point is Oratory, I would include the (Song, -40%) Limitation, but call it "Clear Vocalization" or something instead.
I could get behind that...but it's still obvious what you're doing unless you have high skill or Easy Casting or perks that reduce rituals for a specific spell.

Become a Patron!
Old 01-16-2015, 08:25 PM   #9
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I could get behind that...but it's still obvious what you're doing unless you have high skill or Easy Casting or perks that reduce rituals for a specific spell.
I'd allow No Signature for something like this, saying that they must gesture as emphatically, and speak as clearly and loudly as any spell caster, but those words and gestures could be mundane appearing ones. (They would learn their own spells that were written this way, and not the standard wizard's spells, if that's in doubt.)
Old 01-16-2015, 08:32 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I'd allow No Signature for something like this, saying that they must gesture as emphatically, and speak as clearly and loudly as any spell caster, but those words and gestures could be mundane appearing ones. (They would learn their own spells that were written this way, and not the standard wizard's spells, if that's in doubt.)
I don't know. That seems a cheap way of getting around the effects of magical rituals to me. I wouldn't allow that. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. Of course, if you're changing around rituals completely just use the rules for Personal Ritual Styles (also GURPS Thaumatology, p. 37) and call it a 0-point feature for demagogue magic.

Become a Patron!

Tags
dungeon fantasy, magic