Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-21-2020, 11:50 PM   #1
larsdangly

Default Preferred format for published adventures?

Now that I have both the SJG volume of TFT adventures and the '5 perilous journeys' set, I have to say I prefer the separate-module format of the latter. It reminds me a bit of the original D&D pastel modules. It's handier at the table, gives you a format for presenting cover art with each adventure, and if you are clever you can use those inside covers for maps. (the pastel module tradition of making the cover a detached map can't be beat). I think it is possible that SJG will present their next adventure modules in the same hard-bound format as the first, both because it is what they did before and because I suspect the printing and binding costs might be less. But I would like to see them follow in the 'perilous journeys' footsteps! What do you think?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:42 AM   #2
Brazen Hussey

Default Re: Preferred format for published adventures?

I guess I prefer the all-in-one book format. It probably is a little cheaper, it's easier to shelve, and the cover won't give away what adventure I'm planning to run. Having said that, I'm not likely to run any of the published adventures cuz I'm a picky bastard. But don't worry, I'll still buy and read them all!

Lars, for me the one area the old module style has the single volume format beat is nostalgic charm. That counts for something.
Brazen Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:49 AM   #3
tomc

I prefer the separate volumes as well. Extra covers and maps are a good thing, and though it's mostly nostalgia, it just feels right.

I've been working on solo adventures formatted as decks of cards. Not quite as intricate as text based numbered paragraph adventures, but they flow well, you don't lose your place, and you avoid spoilers since there's no book to flip through.

A book that lays flat when open would be ideal for solo games, but less convenient for sessions with a GM, unless maybe it can stands up?

Are there other formats for adventures are there, or ways to improve those already mentioned?

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
It's handier at the table, gives you a format for presenting cover art with each adventure, and if you are clever you can use those inside covers for maps. (the pastel module tradition of making the cover a detached map can't be beat).
For what it's worth, I'm looking into the detached cover, shrink-wrapped style for "More Perilous Journeys." I need quotes (actually, I need more than a few quotes, so I'll be sending out a note to my printer in a few minutes) so I'm not sure, but now that my page counts for various books are firming up...it's time to get them.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #5
larsdangly

Great! I'm sure it will be a good product regardless, but I hope it works out to print them in separate (detachable!) covers.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:11 AM   #6
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Great! I'm sure it will be a good product regardless, but I hope it works out to print them in separate (detachable!) covers.
I know it can be done, of course. The question is how much it costs! I'll be polling prior backers once the data comes in.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #7
Shadekeep

I like the D&D module format of each adventure as a standalone, but can definitely see where omnibus releases would be more cost effective. I have no clue which format would actually sell better, however. Depends on how many people prefer to pick-and-choose over those who prefer a big book of stuff to pick from (and which does look nicer on the shelf). I would suspect that the omnibus edition is cheaper adventure-wise, in that it likely retails for the same price that 3 or 4 individual adventures might cost, thus giving the buyer more adventures for the dollar. That could offset the perception of paying for adventures you may not otherwise have bought.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:24 AM   #8
hcobb

Does anybody do books where the adventures refer to common characters in some appendix? How do you handle the players killing off their guide in an different adventure then?
Old 01-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #9
Skarg

I think it's easier to work with an adventure book that only has one adventure in it, not several others in the same book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Does anybody do books where the adventures refer to common characters in some appendix? How do you handle the players killing off their guide in an different adventure then?
I don't think I understand what you mean or what issue you're talking about.

But e.g. Orcslayer had separate sheets for the NPCs.

I think ideally there would be a GM control sheet for the NPCs, or perhaps one per likely group encountered.

When running original Tollenkar's Lair (which just listed stats in the book, no sheets), I would make my own sheets for them.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:44 PM   #10
amenditman

I like the look and feel of the 4, no, 5 Perilous Journeys, the book quality is very good and feels nice to hold.

For use at the table I prefer modules that are individually printed.
For pdf format the omnibus is just fine.