Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-13-2020, 07:29 PM   #1
Harbinjer

Default Magic-using Riot Cops?

I hadn't plan to start a thread for this, but the Honey, I summoned a Demon thread, comes close to an issue I'm struggling with in my campaign.

How does a low-tech/high magic society prepare for (in my case) crowd control and riot control? Even one magic user could cause a lot of havoc if there's not a plan to deal with him.

My initial thinking is that the "beat cops" all have some sort of signal that they can use in emergencies to summon a crew of 5-6 mages who surround the area, shut down all magic nearby, and then possibly put everyone to sleep. Or something.
Everyone wakes up in a jail cell (lined with mana-blocking materials) and the judge sorts it out after-the-fact.

I'm looking for better ideas, please!
Harbinjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:46 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Magic-using Riot Cops?

Wands of a minor body control spell like itch or retching could be useful. Alchemical powders for the equivalent f tear gas.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:59 PM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinjer View Post
How does a low-tech/high magic society prepare for (in my case) crowd control and riot control? Even one magic user could cause a lot of havoc if there's not a plan to deal with him.
Depends how advanced their rule of law is. At TL 3, calling out the army and killing rioters until they flee isn't that exotic. Magic has less lethal options; the Smoke spell is pretty good as lower tech tear gas, Fear is probably good at getting them to disperse. Or just summon a creature with Terror.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:03 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

Mass Sleep is an obvious (if expensive) solution, especially if the people who catch them get a percentage of their fines (or sale price if slavery is allowed and a legal punishment for rioting).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:21 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Mass Sleep is an obvious (if expensive) solution
Cost and casting time make it pretty limited. A ten hex smoke can be cast in one turn for ten fatigue and will disperse a mob nicely; a ten hex mass sleep takes 30s and 30fp.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:19 AM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Cost and casting time make it pretty limited. A ten hex smoke can be cast in one turn for ten fatigue and will disperse a mob nicely; a ten hex mass sleep takes 30s and 30fp.
I find Rain makes a nice anti-rioter spell (for those larger riots).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #7
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Depends how advanced their rule of law is. At TL 3, calling out the army and killing rioters until they flee isn't that exotic. Magic has less lethal options; the Smoke spell is pretty good as lower tech tear gas, Fear is probably good at getting them to disperse. Or just summon a creature with Terror.
At TL3, the rioters *are* your army. Few lords could pay a standing army, so it would be locals joining a battle either pressed or as mercenaries. If the locals are rioting, that's your army. Hopefully you didn't train them before the last skirmish.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:32 PM   #8
Harbinjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
At TL3, the rioters *are* your army. Few lords could pay a standing army, so it would be locals joining a battle either pressed or as mercenaries. If the locals are rioting, that's your army. Hopefully you didn't train them before the last skirmish.
Except I'm not worried about foot-soldiers. The question is how does a city in that situation keep the peace when there are magic users throwing around fireballs (or worse). An ordinary town guard won't be prepared for that. Even a low-level adventuring party could be an unstopable force for mayhem if they put thier minds to it.
What is necessary to make the town guard prepared?
Harbinjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:42 PM   #9
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Except I'm not worried about foot-soldiers. The question is how does a city in that situation keep the peace when there are magic users throwing around fireballs (or worse). An ordinary town guard won't be prepared for that. Even a low-level adventuring party could be an unstopable force for mayhem if they put thier minds to it.
In that situation, you get serious about retaliation. The same way you do when modern rioters bring guns. The guy with the hardware has a serious target painted on him.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:24 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
There's a good chance they aren't prepared, and preparation may still be lethal force. Use of nonlethal force is generally a luxury for those who have access to overwhelming superiority.