Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-23-2020, 07:33 AM   #11
hcobb

Default Re: Wizards Hate Iron

Remember that you can't have fine bronze weapons or a bronze staff.

Very fine bronze dagger w/Staff IV(1d/1d) $200 0.2#
Get a spare and run around with dual weapon parry occult zap.
Buy a mule with your remaining cash.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:53 PM   #12
Steve Plambeck

That went from such a simple solution to a such a complicated one pretty fast! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
..Very fine bronze dagger w/Staff IV(1d/1d) $200 0.2#
Get a spare and run around with dual weapon parry occult zap...
I'll stick with a plain old bronze broadsword, thanks. It sits in my scabbard for emergencies while I clear the field with a few well-aimed lightening bolts, none fired at -4 DX. My needs are simple.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #13
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Remember that you can't have fine bronze weapons or a bronze staff.

Very fine bronze dagger w/Staff IV(1d/1d) $200 0.2#
Get a spare and run around with dual weapon parry occult zap.
Buy a mule with your remaining cash.
I include bronze in the metals allowed to wizards as well, but I impose a -1 to damage for the same weight, plus they are easier to break if that comes up, which hasn't so far. They are also 50% of the cost of the same quality of weapon, but again, they are uncommon as not everyone knows how to cast and temper bronze to make it an effective weapon.

Also, bronze is really beautiful.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:37 AM   #14
hcobb

Historically the switch from bronze to iron saw a sharp reduction in weapons cost as you no longer had to trade with mines hundreds of miles away to gather all the different metals to alloy.

So I'd say:

Copper is the same price as iron weapons/armor but is one point less effective. Every time you attack or defend with a copper weapon or shield roll one die and on a six it breaks.

Bronze has the same effect as standard iron (no fine or very fine), cost is five times as much as iron and the item weighs 25% more (10% for material density, the rest for having to build a bulkier item.)

Last edited by hcobb; 01-28-2020 at 11:45 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:12 PM   #15
JustAnotherJarhead

Skarg hit on the best of points. I'm also a fan of returning the -4 to cast for non-wizards.

Steve & Kevin had good points, I like having materials diversity in weapons & armor.
It's really a game balance thing, so whatever you decide as far as advantages/disadvantages just make sure it's playable in a potentially diverse geographical party mix.

I like Copper being a "cheap but suitable" option for beginning characters with a weapon or even an armor option, it just needs to be DIFFERENT than Bronze.
Copper: -1 to damage for the same weight weapon, & easier to break (1 in 6 is a bit rough, but playable), 50% of the cost of the same quality of weapon.
As armor maybe the durability factor should play in, like last 1/2 as long etc... but also be cheaper.

Bronze is a step up from copper, I think making it more expensive than Iron is not necessary. I'm good with it being equivalent to iron in all ways except the -1 to damage. (It's logically not as durable, but that may not come up in a playable way like that of copper) That Reduced Damage factor alone will curtail it's over abundant use, and of course the NO FINE weapon option, will keep it as a minority.
As far as it being an armor, I think it's playable to be equivalent to iron, even enchantable. I look forward to seeing the first suit of 1/2 plate in bronze.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote