Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #1
Yssa

Default My Job Doesn't Define Me!

I working on a "Bardbarian" for a PC in a future. Narratively it makes a lot of sense in my head, and it's both fun and challenging to think about how to make an effective PC balancing these professions.

Does anyone have any tips for combining professions or just anecdotes about professions you've enjoyed mixing in the past?
Yssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: My Job Doesn't Define Me!

If you're used to GURPS, I suggest buying DF15: Henchmen and build a bardbarian from the pieces provided there. Combining the Brute (p. 9) template with the Troubadour (p. 40) lens would probably be the way to go.

Edit: The thing I'd be worried about is Multiple Attribute Dependency - that the character would need all four stats to be effective, as well as Charisma, Combat Reflexes, Bardsong ability, etc. That's a lot of points to be useful in such disparate classes.

Last edited by Anders; 01-22-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
Dalin

DF3: The Next Level also offers "multiclassing" advice for higher point characters (usually the basic 250 point template plus a 50 point lens for 300 points total). I often use it to get ideas for different off-template concepts.

Whenever you combine martial and intellectual archetypes, you get into the problem of paying for both brawn and brains. It gets expensive fast! In this situation, I usually think about which side of things I want to be the core of my character, then build from there. I might want to be a truly competent warrior, but only so-so with my magical skills; that could work with only a modest IQ.

In some cases, too, it turns out that the concept can be achieved through a few largely cosmetic changes. For example, if I wanted a bardbarian who is primarily a basher, I could end up building a standard barbarian with a set of bagpipes and a few points in singing, poetry, etc. This wouldn't be a real bard though... just some dried powdered bard flavoring.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:00 AM   #4
Taneli

Build a barbarian, spare some points into the Bard abilities & aim for skills & abilities that benefit from Charisma. It's cheaper to get Charisma than IQ...
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
Build a barbarian, spare some points into the Bard abilities & aim for skills & abilities that benefit from Charisma. It's cheaper to get Charisma than IQ...
I would also go with Bardic Talent over IQ.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #6
Yssa

I think I'm actually taking it in the other direction: Bardic core with Barbarian Flavor: She was the runt of the litter in her tribe, and turned to the power of voice and whiles to get by where her strength failed. She's got survival skills, a bad temper, and strength beyond what you'd expect in a bard, but she's cannier than your average barbarian.
Yssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:02 AM   #7
Bruno

My last barbarian put some points in Singing and Poetry, much to the shock/horror of my companions. High HT gives a great Singing score, and being an idiot means I could inflict some really terrible poetry about my long-lost love (who I was adventuring to prove myself worthy to) to anyone who was caught in the area.

The traditional Bardbarian instrument is bagpipes, but it precludes singing properly. OTOH, it requires some really good lung capacity, which goes very well with the higher HT from Barbarian (+ Very Fit).

Another option is a tuba, which can double as a bludgeoning weapon in a pinch.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote