Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #1
Mrfyr

Default Need some help creating leeching spines

So the concept is a cyborg character that has large spines that will stick into a target like a porcupine, but remain connected through cables and let the cyborg drain health from the victim.

I'm new the system and still figuring stuff out, so I want to know if what I came up with works under the rules or if there might even be a better way of doing it.

I was going to take the Spines advantage and add Ranged[40%] with Reduced Range (10 divisor)[-30%] so the cables aren't absurdly long, with Extended Duration (Permanent)[150%], with the conditions being to destroy the cables, pull out the spines, or simply move out of range and they will come out automatically and retract back into the cyborg. I would add Gadget:Breakable for the cable part.

As for the Leech, assuming I am reading things correctly, it would be a Follow-Up[-50%] since it is a passive carrier. Since it is a Follow-Up it can't have Reduced Range. As for the Ranged and Extended Duration enhancements, am I correct in thinking I don't need to put those on the Leech? Since I would be using an action each turn to actually perform the leech as long as the spines remain in the targets, therefore keeping me in contact with them?

If I did want the Leech to occur automatically, what would the best way to do that? Cyclic doesn't seem appropriate since it isn't a burning, corrosion, fatigue, or toxic effect, and Cyclic appears to be for things that have a very set duration, not something that is permanent until certain parameters are met.
Mrfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:15 PM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Need some help creating leeching spines

You are attempting to use the Spines actively, which is forbidden, as Spines explicitly cannot be used actively. Active use is better represented by a Striker, with Leech as a Follow-up with Blood Agent. The Striker originating from the Spines is just a cosmetic effect. Alternatively, an Impaling Attack with Jet might also work. In either case, you would need linked Binding to stay attacked. For example:

Impaling Attack 1d (Jet, +0%; Link, +10%) [9] plus Leech (Follow-Up, +0%) [25] plus Binding 20 (Jet, +0%; Link, +10%) [44].

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 01-16-2020 at 10:21 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:23 AM   #3
coronatiger

Do you need both Link and Follow-up?

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:41 AM   #4
AlexanderHowl

No, you only need one or the other for each advantage. Since Binding deals no direct damage, it is not really legal for Follow-up (either as the primary or secondary), so it needs Link with the primary. So, the cables attack, dealing 1d impaling damage to their target while binding them, and the character can drain the HP of the target as long as they penetrate DR and as long as they keep contact with the target.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #5
Humabout

There are two attacks going on here, so lets address each one separately.

You have spines that stick in an opponent who attacks you. As long as that is purely defensive, that definitely is thr Spines advantage. If you can force your spines on someone by getting clowe enough, too, it is Innate Attack with Melee Attack and Aura. If you you can only actively attack with spines, it could also be Innate Attck with Melee Weapon or it could be Striker. You can also mix these with alternate abilities.

Any of these can be a carrier for a leeching attack. If the leeching happens only if you penetrate DR, then you need Follow-Up. If it goes off as long as you hit, you need Linked. Notice that we havent touched on range or anything yet? That's because that has to do with the leeching effect.

So let's talk leeching. That is the Leech advantage (from GURPS Powers). This defaults to needing physical touch, but you are using either Follow-Up or Linked, so that's not an issue. If you want the leeching to continue at regular intervals without taking an action, that is Cyclic. If you want to have to take an action to leech, you probably need Required Action (or whatever its called in Powers).

Now lets talk about the wires connecting you to your target. If you can use them to pull, drag, grapple, etc., you need Binding, which probably has Linked. If your wires arent strong enough to restrain someone, then you don't need this.

Hope this helps!

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:32 PM   #6
Mrfyr

I've been sick with the Flu and haven't had the opportunity to respond yet; thanks for the answers.

It would definitely be Follow-Up, as the spines would need to get through DR for it to work.

The question I have with Cyclic is duration. This ability would ideally be one that lasts until the spines are removed one way or another (the victim pulls them out or moves far enough away, breaks them, the user ends the effect the themselves, etc.). Otherwise it would effectively be unlimited duration.

Does Extended Duration combine with Cyclic?
Mrfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:03 AM   #7
AlexanderHowl

Well, it depends. You could have a toxic gas cloud with Area Effect, Drifting, Extended Duration, and Persistent, and the toxic damage from the attack could be Cyclic, and that would be legal. Cyclic is only available for Innate Attacks that deal burning, corrosive, fatigue, or toxic damage, so it would not be legal for the build. Extended Duration is only legal for Innate Attacks if they have Area Effect/Cone and Persistent.