Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2020, 08:50 PM   #1
Coinage

Default Extreme Dependency

Hi y'all. I was wondering if I could create an Extreme version of Dependency [B130]

Constantly: You must carry and use the substance at all times – for example, an exotic atmosphere. Lose 1 HP per minute PER SECOND without the substance.

I was hoping to create even more extreme variations, far larger, more powerful entities. Such as:

-Lose 1d6 HP per minute PER SECOND without the substance.

I was wondering, what should be the cost modifier?
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:37 AM   #2
coronatiger

Default Re: Extreme Dependency

What do you mean by "per minute per second"?

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
Hi y'all. I was wondering if I could create an Extreme version of Dependency [B130]

Constantly: You must carry and use the substance at all times – for example, an exotic atmosphere. Lose 1 HP per minute PER SECOND without the substance.

I was hoping to create even more extreme variations, far larger, more powerful entities. Such as:

-Lose 1d6 HP per minute PER SECOND without the substance.

I was wondering, what should be the cost modifier?

Sorry, sorry about that.

"Constantly: You must carry and use the substance at all times – for example, an exotic atmosphere. Lose 1 HP PER SECOND without the substance.

-Lose 1d6 HP PER SECOND without the substance.

I'm looking for how to scale the cost of the modifier depending on how intense the Dependency is. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronatiger View Post
What do you mean by "per minute per second"?
I assume he meant to replace "per minute" with "per second"

I've seen people use the "reduced time" modifier to increase the damage time on weakness, presumably it could work the same way for dependency. I don't know if either version is actually rules as written.

So you could use +120% to drop from 1 per minute to 1 per second. Another +40% on top of that (total +160%) could take you to 4 damage per second, and I'd be fine swapping that in and out with 1d6 per second. I don't know how well that would interact with the steadily dropping multipliers for dependency though. You could just say 1 per second is a x6 multiplier, continuing the progression.

In any event, I would hesitate before allowing a player to have any of this, asking them if they're sure they want to be this vulnerable, and making sure its a meaningful limitation beyond the 1/minute level.

Also, make sure you want dependency and not weakness.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #5
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I assume he meant to replace "per minute" with "per second"

I've seen people use the "reduced time" modifier to increase the damage time on weakness, presumably it could work the same way for dependency. I don't know if either version is actually rules as written.

So you could use +120% to drop from 1 per minute to 1 per second. Another +40% on top of that (total +160%) could take you to 4 damage per second, and I'd be fine swapping that in and out with 1d6 per second. I don't know how well that would interact with the steadily dropping multipliers for dependency though. You could just say 1 per second is a x6 multiplier, continuing the progression.

In any event, I would hesitate before allowing a player to have any of this, asking them if they're sure they want to be this vulnerable, and making sure its a meaningful limitation beyond the 1/minute level.

Also, make sure you want dependency and not weakness.
Copy that, thx.