Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-23-2018, 09:09 PM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Fear and Loathing In TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Different strokes for different folks. Still, a way to game fear/horror/disgust is not a bad idea, since players tend to forget that the reality of some hideous monster can be quite a bit worse than looking at a little piece of cardboard on a paper map.
Fear sure. I don't really see a need for a system that tells you your character doesn't like carrots or Bob the Fletcher or whatever...
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #22
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Fear sure. I don't really see a need for a system that tells you your character doesn't like carrots or Bob the Fletcher or whatever...
No more do I. What I DO think needs to be there is some system to cause a character to reflexively check to see if he or she flees something so horrific that it is absolutely terrifying. Quite a difference between what you're talking about, and what I'm talking about...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:01 PM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
No more do I. What I DO think needs to be there is some system to cause a character to reflexively check to see if he or she flees something so horrific that it is absolutely terrifying. Quite a difference between what you're talking about, and what I'm talking about...
Yeah that's fear. I am saying you probably don't need a loathing system.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:06 PM   #24
JLV

Quote:
Yeah that's fear. I am saying you probably don't need a loathing system.
LOL! Sorry, I misread your previous post! I thought you had written "Fer sure"!!! My sincere apologies! ;-)

I think you're making too much out of my chosen title for this thread -- I was doing the Hunter S. Thompson thing as both a joke and a way of making a point. But, to argue the case a moment -- sufficient loathing may actually induce the same kind of response as fear -- I'm talking about the loathsome properties of some Cthulhoid monsters here, or something of similar severity, of course; not merely the "I loathe pink" sort of feeling!
Old 01-23-2018, 10:23 PM   #25
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
LOL! Sorry, I misread your previous post! I thought you had written "Fer sure"!!! My sincere apologies! ;-)

I think you're making too much out of my chosen title for this thread -- I was doing the Hunter S. Thompson thing as both a joke and a way of making a point. But, to argue the case a moment -- sufficient loathing may actually induce the same kind of response as fear -- I'm talking about the loathsome properties of some Cthulhoid monsters here, or something of similar severity, of course; not merely the "I loathe pink" sort of feeling!
That's more of a sanity system thing, I think.

And my initial post was intended to poke fun at your Hunter S. Thompson reference and what a "loathing system" would look like if it were as prominent as fear systems in RPGs but for some reason you took it seriously...
Old 01-23-2018, 10:30 PM   #26
JLV

Quote:
That's more of a sanity system thing, I think.

And my initial post was intended to poke fun at your Hunter S. Thompson reference and what a "loathing system" would look like if it were as prominent as fear systems in RPGs but for some reason you took it seriously...
Actually, I ignored it, since I thought you'd gotten the joke. ;-)

But regarding Sanity -- I'm not sure we want to go there with TFT; since sanity can become quite a time-consuming subroutine -- witness Call of Cthulhu. However, having said that, I could see a "sanity table" which would come into play if a character rolled badly on the fear table and went crazy as a result. Still, as I've said elsewhere, I'm not sure I'd want more than a page or two of rules on such a system, since, after all, TFT is a fantasy game, not a horror game... Actually, tying the two (that is, Sanity and Fear) together in some clever -- but brief -- way, would be just awesome.

I could also see Steve adding a page or two on diseases, both magical and mundane, and that sort of thing, but without turning them into a major sub-system in their own right.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:51 PM   #27
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Actually, tying the two (that is, Sanity and Fear) together in some clever -- but brief -- way, would be just awesome.
Probably not your idea of brief, but the Stress and Derangement system in GURPS connects these things.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:22 PM   #28
JLV

Quote:
Probably not your idea of brief, but the Stress and Derangement system in GURPS connects these things.
Well, if it's GURPS, it's probably not anyone's idea of "TFT brief," but if there's a system there, I wonder if it could be edited ruthlessly down for use in TFT?

Now I'll have to try and find those rules! ;-)
Old 01-24-2018, 06:37 PM   #29
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Well, if it's GURPS, it's probably not anyone's idea of "TFT brief," but if there's a system there, I wonder if it could be edited ruthlessly down for use in TFT?

Now I'll have to try and find those rules! ;-)
GURPS Horror p. 141.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:54 PM   #30
JLV

Quote:
GURPS Horror p. 141.
Thanks! Much appreciated.