Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 01-28-2021, 08:32 AM   #21
hcobb

Default Re: Converting D&D classes to TFT characters

It's to provide an introduction for players who are used to using specific class features in D&D and show them how to implement that sort of character in TFT.

If I actually knew D&D I'd take fully worked up characters in D&D and convert those over.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:28 AM   #22
larsdangly

I think it is a great idea. The ITL core book provides a lot of guidance by outlining the sorts of talents and spells typical of common character tropes, though it doesn't articulate them in D+D class terms and doesn't work through the min/max tradeoffs. So, having a place where you can see how a TFT player might create one of the more idiosyncratic D+D classes could be helpful. Plus it is sort of fun and interesting if you know both games.

I will post a few more suggestions when I have more time, but I think one thing that is important to realize is that you can easily recreate pretty much any D+D character you like with TFT, but some of them can't be done completely and well at the moment of character creation. I.e., you might need a couple thousand XP to get there. Other starting TFT character types are obviously significantly better (in a competitive combat or dungeon crawling sense) than their D+D equivalents. So, while overall it is sort of six-of-one-half-a-dozen-of-another, you might find one or the other game over or under powered depending on exactly where you look and what your reference frame of 'normal' is like.

For example, TFT thieves and wizards (and related sub classes) are more capable at the start of play than their D+D equivalents. Fighters and barbarians and rangers so forth are pretty much equivalent. Druids and monks are about equivalent (though perhaps subtly different in detail at the start of play). Paladins and Clerics and Cavaliers/Knights really start at a lower level of capability in TFT, though they catch up within 1000 XP or so. Mostly because the penalties and costs for really good armor in TFT mean you likely won't wear it until you have a couple adventures under your belt, and the constraints on mixing magical and mundane powers mean you won't start play with both a full 'class' worth of talents AND a half dozen known spells or spell like powers. So, in these cases it might make more sense to either create apprentice-level sorts of starting characters (squires and novices) and let them advance to their full form, or to create more experienced characters (say, 35-36 attribute points and an extra few talent points).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:18 AM   #23
hcobb

One section I wish I could just point at a Hexagram article, but I suppose must write, is the power of a Priest in TFT. Not in any supernatural sense, but in terms of a social and rank talent.

And completed an example for every class.

Last edited by hcobb; 01-29-2021 at 03:42 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote