Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM   #1
DanielAdelman

Default Hypnosis and insomnia

As it's something I have actually done IRL one time where getting somewhere in time was so important that I didn't mind sleeping with my laptop on and with headphones on after listening to an hypnosis video I put on a loop just in case (I'm a very good subject)...

What happens when a character with the Hypnosis skill tries to put to sleep a willing subject who suffers from an Insomnia episode in GURPS?

Thanks!
DanielAdelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:18 AM   #2
Aldric

Default Re: Hypnosis and insomnia

From a game rule point of view, if it does help, you may have to find it's value as a Mitigator.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:29 AM   #3
evileeyore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAdelman View Post
What happens when a character with the Hypnosis skill tries to put to sleep a willing subject who suffers from an Insomnia episode in GURPS?
For one thing insomnia is one of those terrible "based on the PC's Attributes" disads and is easily ignored with decent HT*... on the other...

In this case the Hypnosis is a Complimentary Bonus to the Insomniac's HT roll. See Action 2 for Complimentary Skills.

(In a nutshell: The Complimenting skill adds +1 on a success, -1 on a failure, and +/- 2s on a crit.)

* In my games these get switched over to being on Self Control rolls instead of being based on Attributes.

Gurps Combat Club on RPoL. Come check it out, play in a tourney or two!
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:19 PM   #4
Black Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
In this case the Hypnosis is a Complimentary Bonus to the Insomniac's HT roll. See Action 2 for Complimentary Skills.
I don't know if I'd treat it as a complimentary effect. Hypnosis is an effective method for treating sleep disorders like Surgery is an effective method for treating bullet wounds. If I was GMing it simply I'd allow a successful roll to put a willing insomniac to sleep (Maybe not fully restful sleep but unconsciousness), or at the very least I'd add the margin of success of the hypnotism roll to the insomniac's HT roll. If a skilled hypnotist or mediator was giving an insomniac advice on how to get to sleep over the phone or in a letter I'd say the successful skill roll would give a complimentary bonus.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:20 PM   #5
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

This seems to be a duplicate of a thread from a few months ago (a nearly identical OP, only differing by one word and some punctuation and formatting):

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=164738

I'm confused as to why someone would do that. Possibly the result of an automated system trying to pass as human?