Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
The Whiner Knight

Default Re: Vor, Vor, Vor, Vor, Vor. *fnord*

I got mine as a favor from Gregor after Simon Illyan cashiered me from ImpSec.

... that is to say, I ordered it last Friday, and it came in on Wednesday.

TWK

"When the human race is clocked on the stopwatch of history, it's a new record every time."
The Whiner Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #12
Anaraxes

Quote:
it came in on Wednesday
Good. Now you've got something to do since you lost that ImpSec job, rather than just sit around your dad's house moping in an identity crisis.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:14 PM   #13
Whome?

Mine came on Saturday..........

This book is very well produced - like all the other Gurps 4e hardbacks. One nice thing I like is that it can be played many ways, just like Gurps Traveller Interstellar Wars.

I will probably play this book out as written the first time around, then use it as a Traveller module after that. Other ideas include using it as a Star Wars adventure, etc.

The illustrations are stunning and the book is a good reference for the Vorkosigan fans out there as well as Gurps fans. I'm a Gurps fan and it is just as well produced as the other Gurps 4e book I own.

The book is very well written and a big asset to my collection. Ive gotten all the 4th edition hardbounds - this makes a nice collection now that I got the Vorkosigan book. The page count in my 4th edition hardback collection is about 5,000 pages - which is quite a nice amount. To me, the one book a month origonal schedule for publishing Gurps hardbounds was a bit much, however one a year is way too few. The amount of hardbacks is what they released in 2007 - four which seems to be about right. I'd STILL get those basic books - Black Ops, Cliffhangers, WW2, etc. out as 4th edition hardbacks asap.

Overall, if you are a fan of the Vorkosigan Saga - get this book and if you are looking for a great Gurps adventure to play get this book for that.

One last thing I like is the fact that Gurps lite is included making this a stand alone product. Nothing else is required to play it.

It's my favorite RPG book right now - can't wait to run it!
Whome? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:25 AM   #14
trekkypj

I'd quite like to do an Impsec campaign... possibly with the PCs going on occasional jaunts with the Dendarii Mercenaries...

The beauty of it is that you can plug the setting into other GURPS books, especially the 'in Spaaaaaaace' ones... the Necklin drives and wormhole strategy make an interesting change from the jump drives of Traveller for example...

Yes, it will do very nicely methinks.
trekkypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
The Whiner Knight

Yeah, Far Traders would probably work very well with Vorkosigan.

Unfortunately, Alien Species, not so much unless you want to radically change the political structure of the Nexus. Perhaps you could change one of the aliens cosmetically and have it as the "big reveal" of an adventure involving Jackson's Whole or the Star Creche.

TWK

"When the human race is clocked on the stopwatch of history, it's a new record every time."
The Whiner Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #16
Gizensha

I'll be picking it up after I finish moving.
Gizensha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Oddly enough, while I really enjoyed the series and I'm a big GURPS fan, I probably won't get it. I honestly don't see that there's anything about the setting that makes it especially gameable, and I seriously doubt I know anybody who'd have any interest in playing it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #18
bumbot

I just picked up my copy today, I pre-ordered it in August. It's a very pretty book, now to read it!
bumbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:00 PM   #19
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Oddly enough, while I really enjoyed the series and I'm a big GURPS fan, I probably won't get it. I honestly don't see that there's anything about the setting that makes it especially gameable, and I seriously doubt I know anybody who'd have any interest in playing it.
Ironically, I feel the reverse. I enjoyed the series, and I'm a GURPS fan, but I won't use GURPS to run my Barrayaran campaign next year; I'm going to do a BESM adaptation. I have no problems with the series being gamable, and I have lots of players who are enthusiastic about the setting.

I judge gamability not by "do I want to play out the storyline of the source," but by "do I want to play characters who have the same qualities as the characters in the source material, perform comparable actions, and interact similarly?" Or as Heinlein succinctly put it, "Tradition means doing things in the same grand style as our predecessors; it does not mean doing the same things."

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #20
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkypj View Post
. the Necklin drives and wormhole strategy make an interesting change from the jump drives of Traveller for example...

Yes, it will do very nicely methinks.
I like to combine jump drives and "warp" (Necklin) drives. The jump drives are for close systems. The Necklin drives are for systems which are connected, no matter the distance.

So, for instance, you might get jump drives of up to 6 pc., but a warp line could potentially run for dozens of parsecs.

Haven't quite figured it out yet. I am not sure if I want "dense" warp lines, connecting large numbers of systems, multiple nexus systems, with small numbers of "warp clusters." Or if I want "thin" warp lines, connecting "chains" of systems, few nexus systems, and a large number of "warp clusters" (though not necessarily every system connected...).
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps, lois mcmaster bujold, miles, miles vorkosigan, vorkosigan, vorkosigan saga