Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #1
Plane

Default quantity-based Weakness?

B161 defines Weakness as a dice of damage per unit of time when exposed to a substance. B262 includes "Weakness: Water" for Body of Fire, as an example.

Is there some rule somewhere on how quantity might matter? It seems like falling into a 1-inch puddle would be just as damaging as falling into a 10ft-deep lake.

In the case of Body of Fire, it might be explained away through their Burning Aura vaporizing water so that it can't continue to damage them, but I don't know what solution to use in the case of those without auras to damage their weakness-inducing substance.

Vampires (also B262) only have a Weakness to sunlight, "Running Water" is merely a Dread but if you made a variant who had Weakness : Running Water too, and wanted wading through a deep raging river to do more damage than walking through a light sparse rain, how would you change Weakness to get that?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: quantity-based Weakness?

Quantity affects rarity; water drops are more common than lakes. There isn't a rule for scaling the effects, though.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: quantity-based Weakness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Vampires (also B262) only have a Weakness to sunlight, "Running Water" is merely a Dread but if you made a variant who had Weakness : Running Water too, and wanted wading through a deep raging river to do more damage than walking through a light sparse rain, how would you change Weakness to get that?
That seems to be a setting/game switch. I would set that as an expectation to the players during session zero.

"Your weakness is for a set amount of water. For instance, a normal river. That does the listed damage. Lesser amounts, like a small stream, will inflict less, and greater amounts will inflict more. Until you get the hang of it, I'll be more clear about any time you would take damage from the environment. Don't hesitate to ask in case I forget to give you the information."
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote