Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-07-2019, 03:58 PM   #21
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Mediocre System Bias [Space]

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I can't get them close enough without fudging.
Oh, its the .15 AU rule. My generator cheerfully ignores that rule, so it gives a lot more planets close to the star, letting it hit that .02 wide habitable zone on a 1/10th solar mass star. That does change things, and yeah, that gives you a lot more junk systems, because half of your systems have a much smaller chance of having habitable planets.

I don't know if that was originally a bug or a feature in the generator, but I see it as a feature. At least if you want an interesting universe.

EDIT: That rule drops the appearance of garden worlds by half, and they now appear mostly around larger stars. So 1 in 10 now, or 1 in 5 has an ocean candidate.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 09-07-2019 at 04:05 PM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #22
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Oh, its the .15 AU rule. My generator cheerfully ignores that rule, so it gives a lot more planets close to the star, letting it hit that .02 wide habitable zone on a 1/10th solar mass star. That does change things, and yeah, that gives you a lot more junk systems, because half of your systems have a much smaller chance of having habitable planets.

I don't know if that was originally a bug or a feature in the generator, but I see it as a feature. At least if you want an interesting universe.

EDIT: That rule drops the appearance of garden worlds by half, and they now appear mostly around larger stars. So 1 in 10 now, or 1 in 5 has an ocean candidate.
Another thing is that according to RAW, there's a noticeable downward pressure on the number of planets with a positive RVM because of the vulcanism rule.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:17 PM   #23
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I was going to comment on this. Space's system mostly generates small stars, and there's a school of thought (which Space seems to adhere to) that small stars are much less likely to have life than ones roughly Sol's size. If you want to increase the changes of a garden world appearing, look closely at p. 101 and you'll see there's an alternate rule for rolling primary star mass if you want to guarantee the star will be roughly Sol-sized.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote