Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-31-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
Llama

Default Power Holster TL bonus

So the Power holster says and I quote "A power holster adds +TL/2 to the Knife, Pistol, or Ammo specialization of Fast-Draw." does this mean the personal TL or world TL or does that depend on if it was brought in at the beginning of the game where the character gets stuff from their TL at a multiplied price or bought during the game?
Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Power Holster TL bonus

[QUOTE=Llama;2282309]So the Power holster says and I quote "A power holster adds +TL/2 to the Knife, Pistol, or Ammo specialization of Fast-Draw." does this mean the personal TL or world TL /QUOTE]

None of the above. It means the TL of the holster.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
None of the above. It means the TL of the holster.
Which would typically, but not always, be the world TL. In a space campaign with worlds of different TL it would depend on the world you purchased it. Also note that there's nothing stopping a high-tech world from pumping out cheaper lower TL items. I.e. a TL10 world could sell TL10 power holsters (+5 skill) and also sell cheaper TL9 versions (+4 skill).
Old 09-03-2019, 04:56 AM   #4
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
Which would typically, but not always, be the world TL. In a space campaign with worlds of different TL it would depend on the world you purchased it. Also note that there's nothing stopping a high-tech world from pumping out cheaper lower TL items. I.e. a TL10 world could sell TL10 power holsters (+5 skill) and also sell cheaper TL9 versions (+4 skill).
I'm not sure that they would be cheaper - there's no automatic cost reduction for lower TL items made on a high TL world. 'Cheap' equipment is generally of the same TL and performance as normal gear, but half cost and 1.5x the weight.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #5
Kale

I meant cheap in the "obsolete" sense moreso than the definition of the "cheap" modifier from all the equipment guides.
I don't have a chance to look right now, but is there a cost modifier for obsolete gear from a previous tech level? I always assumed this was just as aspect of the "cheap" modifier. In essence, "cheap" gear with 1.5x weight is sort-of halfway between equipment of the previous tech level and the current one.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:58 PM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
I meant cheap in the "obsolete" sense moreso than the definition of the "cheap" modifier from all the equipment guides.
I don't have a chance to look right now, but is there a cost modifier for obsolete gear from a previous tech level?
No. Well, there are a set of possibilities.

1. The technology is obsolete. Nobody's making any more of them for general sale so they're collector's items for nostalgia buffs. The price goes up.

2. The technology was introduced many decades, even centuries ago, but it never actually became obsolete. People are still making knives, pencils, lipstick, pants, cheese graters and revolvers. These things do get cheaper...in relative terms because everyone's income is going up.

3. The technology is one tech level out of date because the TL has gone up by a level since it was first sold. The price plummets because because it's second hand and really old and nobody's collecting it. Thus you can it pick up for 10 bucks at someone's garage sale.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:16 PM   #7
Kale

There's also the Khyber Pass option: a group on a world that happens to be lower-tech than the overall TL is still producing equipment from a previous TL. The Khyber Pass gunsmiths are known for making replicas of outdated WWII hardware that still work.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khyber_Pass_copy